From: Rupert on
On Jul 21, 5:36 am, "Gareth Magennis" <sound.serv...(a)btconnect.com>
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> looking for a source of fan filter material for power amps.
> I need strips to go across the whole 19 inch rack front of the amps intakes,
> as in the old Crown MA2400 arrangement.  (The ones I have are actually
> Studiomaster 1600D's)
>
> Googling only throws up square filters for direct fitting onto fans, or very
> expensive rolls of white material from RS.
>
> Where can you get this very light foamy stuff?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Gareth.

I'm actually a "fan" of removing filters - they tend to cause more
harm than good unless you're truly diligent about keeping them clean.
Many times in both install and tour environments have there been
overheating problems due to clogged and ill maintained filters. It's
better to let the dust flow through the amps and coat the inside a bit
rather than overheat them due to clogged filters. My old Crest Pro
amps have had the filters removed since they were new and are still
going strong. We just blow them out with dehumidified compressed air
once in a while for maintenance.

Rupert
From: Gareth Magennis on

"liquidator" <mikeh(a)mad.scientist.com> wrote in message

> "George's Pro Sound Co." <bmoas(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Gareth Magennis" <sound.service(a)btconnect.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Ron" <ron(a)lunevalleyaudio.com> wrote in message

>>> Cheers, Ron. That made me think of vacuum cleaner filters too. Might
>>> take a trip to Comet then.
>>>

>>> Cheers,
>>>

>>> Gareth.
>> Air conditioner filters would work as well. available everywhere air
>> conditioners are sold
>>

> To amplify on George's post...HVAC shops have the material in bulk, saves
> them stocking lots of filters, they just cut to size. Any place that
> repairs home window AC units should have it or be able to get it...

Thanks George and Mr. Liquidator. I had a look at kitchen extractor stuff
that Ron mentioned this afternoon, but couldn't find anything suitable.

Will Google for HVAC suppliers tonight.

Cheers,

Gareth,

From: Ron on
On 21/07/2010 14:48, Gareth Magennis wrote:
> "Ron"<ron(a)lunevalleyaudio.com> wrote in message
>> On 21/07/2010 13:36, Gareth Magennis wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> looking for a source of fan filter material for power amps.
>>> I need strips to go across the whole 19 inch rack front of the amps
>>> intakes,
>>> as in the old Crown MA2400 arrangement. (The ones I have are actually
>>> Studiomaster 1600D's)
>>>
>>> Googling only throws up square filters for direct fitting onto fans, or
>>> very
>>> expensive rolls of white material from RS.
>>>
>>> Where can you get this very light foamy stuff?
>>>

>>> Cheers,
>>>

>>> Gareth.
>>>

>> Some cooker hoods have a foam filter ahead of the paper one,maybe try a
>> shop which sells domestic appliance spares.
>>
>> Ron
>>

> Cheers, Ron. That made me think of vacuum cleaner filters too. Might take
> a trip to Comet then.

You would probably be best looking on your local market, there`s usually
someone who sells appliance spares a lot cheaper than Comet.

Ron

From: Lord Valve on
Gareth Magennis wrote:

> Hi,
>
> looking for a source of fan filter material for power amps.
> I need strips to go across the whole 19 inch rack front of the amps intakes,
> as in the old Crown MA2400 arrangement. (The ones I have are actually
> Studiomaster 1600D's)
>
> Googling only throws up square filters for direct fitting onto fans, or very
> expensive rolls of white material from RS.
>
> Where can you get this very light foamy stuff?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Gareth.

ScotchBrite (the green stuff women scrub pots with) works great.

You can get it anywhere. The white variety is a bit finer-grained
than the ubiquitous green type. I've used it for years. It traps
dust just fine, doesn't significantly impede airflow, and it can
be rinsed easily when cleaning is required.

Lord Valve
Fuckin' cryzy, is wot 'e is...