From: Denny Strauser on
On 7/8/2010 8:22 AM, Phil Allison wrote:
> "Ron"
>>
>> I would have thought that if a professional speaker repair company thought
>> that it is ok to epoxy broken ferrites, then it's either the only resort
>> or there is no serious disadvantage to the practise. I could probably find
>> out...
>
> ** Such speaker damage is so rare few would he ever seen it.
> Ever rarer for the cost of the repairs to be economical.
> Denny's example is likely a one off exception.
> Fuckwits like him love to use them as proofs.

Phil flatters me once more. Proof of what?
With these cabinets, we had a number of magnets broken because stage
hands dropped the cabinets hard, laying them into place. The magnets I
mentioned are so big & strong that they had to be demagnetized to repair
them. I've laid screws on these cabinets, only to see them stand up on
end, because they were magnetized.

- Denny
From: liquidator on

"Ron" <ron(a)lunevalleyaudio.com> wrote in message
> On 07/07/2010 12:33, Arny Krueger wrote:
>> "Ron"<ron(a)lunevalleyaudio.com> wrote in message
>>
>>> I just watched a tv program about building loudspeakers,
>>> and it hadn't dawned on me before that they assemble the
>>> entire motor and (in this case) screw it to the basket
>>> before magnetising the magnet.
>>
>>> Obvious really.
>>
>> Whether a speaker builder or rebuilder has a magnetizer is one of those
>> litmus tests. It is not that you absolutely need one...
>>

> You don't need one to rebuild a speaker - tho it might be a useful tool -
> but you might find it rather difficult to manufacture a powerful magnet
> without one.

Not necessarily true. Alnico can get demagged, as can neo.

Ceramic speakers don't.

First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Dealing with divas