From: Ron on
I just watched a tv program about building loudspeakers, and it hadn't
dawned on me before that they assemble the entire motor and (in this
case) screw it to the basket before magnetising the magnet.

Obvious really.

Ron(UK)
From: Arny Krueger on
"Ron" <ron(a)lunevalleyaudio.com> wrote in message

> I just watched a tv program about building loudspeakers,
> and it hadn't dawned on me before that they assemble the
> entire motor and (in this case) screw it to the basket
> before magnetising the magnet.

> Obvious really.

Whether a speaker builder or rebuilder has a magnetizer is one of those
litmus tests. It is not that you absolutely need one...

From: Ron on
On 07/07/2010 12:33, Arny Krueger wrote:
> "Ron"<ron(a)lunevalleyaudio.com> wrote in message
>
>> I just watched a tv program about building loudspeakers,
>> and it hadn't dawned on me before that they assemble the
>> entire motor and (in this case) screw it to the basket
>> before magnetising the magnet.
>
>> Obvious really.
>
> Whether a speaker builder or rebuilder has a magnetizer is one of those
> litmus tests. It is not that you absolutely need one...

You don't need one to rebuild a speaker - tho it might be a useful tool
- but you might find it rather difficult to manufacture a powerful
magnet without one. I was just interested to find that the magnet was
energised after being bonded to the steel front and back plates.
and here it is

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VN0tmyyC0ak
From: Denny Strauser on
On 7/7/2010 6:12 AM, Ron wrote:
> I just watched a tv program about building loudspeakers, and it hadn't
> dawned on me before that they assemble the entire motor and (in this
> case) screw it to the basket before magnetising the magnet.

There is a speaker repair company in Pittsburgh who I've watched fixing
broken magnets. First he demagnetizes the magnet. Then he epoxies the
pieces together. Then he re-magnetizes it.

- Denny
From: Phil Allison on

"Ron"

> I would have thought that if a professional speaker repair company thought
> that it is ok to epoxy broken ferrites, then it's either the only resort
> or there is no serious disadvantage to the practise. I could probably find
> out...

** Such speaker damage is so rare few would he ever seen it.

Ever rarer for the cost of the repairs to be economical.

Denny's example is likely a one off exception.

Fuckwits like him love to use them as proofs.

.... Phil

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Dealing with divas