From: Carl on
John Navas wrote:
> FWIW, my own personal list. Suggestions welcome.

After surveying all the lists posted here, I was surprised to not find
Advanced Task Killer on anyone's list (unless I missed it?). How do you
guys/gals clear your memory periodically? Or do you just let all those apps
run in the background all the time with no ill result?

I would also add K-9 Mail to the list for those of you who would like to
delete emails from your device and have them deleted from your server at the
same time (for those of you not using gmail as your primary email account
that is).

And last for me, Barcode Scanner is an amazing app which allows me to do
price comparison shopping in stores that tag their merchandise with bar
codes.

From: Justin on
Carl wrote on [Thu, 12 Aug 2010 09:18:41 -0400]:
> Larry wrote:
>> John Navas <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote in
>>
>>> Swype
>>>

>> John, are you using Swype? If so, what do you think of it?
>>
> I know you asked John specifically, but I thought I'd throw in my
> experience. I tried it for a day and sort of liked it. However, I am at an
> age where I need reading glasses but can sometimes get by without them. What
> I came to realize was that I could get by without the glasses with the
> standard keyboard, but not with swype because I couldn't always locate the
> keys fast enough with my eyes to be able to follow along with my finger.
> Also, at times my own finger blocked my view of a key I was looking for
> making it difficult for me to complete the swipe. Let me qualify that I was
> never a touch typist to begin with, if that has any bearing on this problem.

Swype is fantastic if you are familiar with a qwerty keyboard layout, you
don't even need to hit the exact keys. It's very good as guessing the word
you meant. The only issue is when words are not in the dictionary it has
to be manually typed the first time.

I use swype with skype chat, and yahoo IM, and it is almost as fast
as using a keyboard on a PC.

From: Justin on
Carl wrote on [Thu, 12 Aug 2010 09:24:39 -0400]:
> John Navas wrote:
>> FWIW, my own personal list. Suggestions welcome.
>>
> After surveying all the lists posted here, I was surprised to not find
> Advanced Task Killer on anyone's list (unless I missed it?). How do you
> guys/gals clear your memory periodically? Or do you just let all those apps
> run in the background all the time with no ill result?

I generally do not kill processes anymore. I did use advanced task killer
but it seemed more hassle than it was worth. I haven't noticed a difference.

From: Carl on
Justin wrote:
> Carl wrote on [Thu, 12 Aug 2010 09:24:39 -0400]:
>> John Navas wrote:
>>> FWIW, my own personal list. Suggestions welcome.
>>>
>> After surveying all the lists posted here, I was surprised to not
>> find Advanced Task Killer on anyone's list (unless I missed it?).
>> How do you guys/gals clear your memory periodically? Or do you just
>> let all those apps run in the background all the time with no ill
>> result?
>
> I generally do not kill processes anymore. I did use advanced task
> killer but it seemed more hassle than it was worth. I haven't noticed
> a difference.

I don't doubt the "difference" part, but I don't see the "hassle" part
either. You open the app, press the "Kill" button, and you're done. I do it
maybe once a day.

Moving on, can anyone tell me why some apps start themselves automatically?
And I'm not talking about critical apps of any kind either. For two
examples, my Music app and my Social Networking app start themselves
arbitrarily for no reason that I can understand. I do use the Music app from
time to time, but never the Social Networking one. Are they trying to tell
me something? :-)

From: Justin on
Carl wrote on [Thu, 12 Aug 2010 10:04:28 -0400]:
> Justin wrote:
>> Carl wrote on [Thu, 12 Aug 2010 09:24:39 -0400]:
>>>>
>>> After surveying all the lists posted here, I was surprised to not
>>> find Advanced Task Killer on anyone's list (unless I missed it?).
>>> How do you guys/gals clear your memory periodically? Or do you just
>>> let all those apps run in the background all the time with no ill
>>> result?
>>
>> I generally do not kill processes anymore. I did use advanced task
>> killer but it seemed more hassle than it was worth. I haven't noticed
>> a difference.
>>
> I don't doubt the "difference" part, but I don't see the "hassle" part
> either. You open the app, press the "Kill" button, and you're done. I do it
> maybe once a day.

And then it has killed processes I didn't want killed.

> Moving on, can anyone tell me why some apps start themselves automatically?
> And I'm not talking about critical apps of any kind either. For two
> examples, my Music app and my Social Networking app start themselves
> arbitrarily for no reason that I can understand. I do use the Music app from
> time to time, but never the Social Networking one. Are they trying to tell
> me something? :-)

That is a good question. Some apps start due to events, and really, does
Verizon really need to install the City ID app (2.99 a month I think) on every
phone?