From: John Navas on
On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 09:11:32 -0400, in
<4c63f305$0$5011$607ed4bc(a)cv.net>, "Carl" <crothman(a)NOSPAMoptonline.net>
wrote:

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>John Navas wrote:<BR></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>"If the iPhone and iPad are really
so=20
impressive,<BR>then why do iFans keep making excuses for =
them?"</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2 face=3DArial>If they're not, why do Verizon people =
keep talking=20
about them?&nbsp;</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

Please don't post here in HTML. Thanks.

See <http://www.triciaswaterdragon.com/posting.htm>

--
Best regards,
John Navas
From: John Navas on
On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 09:24:39 -0400, in
<4c63f618$0$4989$607ed4bc(a)cv.net>, "Carl" <crothman(a)NOSPAMoptonline.net>
wrote:

>John Navas wrote:
>> FWIW, my own personal list. Suggestions welcome.
>>
>After surveying all the lists posted here, I was surprised to not find
>Advanced Task Killer on anyone's list (unless I missed it?). How do you
>guys/gals clear your memory periodically? Or do you just let all those apps
>run in the background all the time with no ill result?

Android will automatically close background apps when it needs their
memory. State is saved so they can be restarted seamlessly (assuming
they are properly programmed). Thus there's rarely any real need to
kill apps. In the few cases when I do need to kill a task (like a
misbehaving app), I use Astro File Manager, which I prefer to Advanced
Task Killer.

>And last for me, Barcode Scanner is an amazing app which allows me to do
>price comparison shopping in stores that tag their merchandise with bar
>codes.

Have you tried Google Shopper?

--
Best regards,
John Navas
From: John Navas on
On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 10:04:28 -0400, in
<4c63ff6d$0$7592$607ed4bc(a)cv.net>, "Carl" <crothman(a)NOSPAMoptonline.net>
wrote:

>Moving on, can anyone tell me why some apps start themselves automatically?
>And I'm not talking about critical apps of any kind either. For two
>examples, my Music app and my Social Networking app start themselves
>arbitrarily for no reason that I can understand. I do use the Music app from
>time to time, but never the Social Networking one. Are they trying to tell
>me something? :-)

The usual reasons for background app startup are housekeeping (like
checking for new music files) or syncing (the biggest performance issue
in Android 1.x). Some apps are so poorly programmed they start up for
no good reason, but I just get rid of those. A good way to check is
with the Battery Use Monitor.

More than you probably want to know about Android app architecture:
<http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/fundamentals.html>

A background process is one holding an activity that's not currently
visible to the user (the Activity object's onStop() method has been
called). These processes have no direct impact on the user
experience, and can be killed at any time to reclaim memory for a
foreground, visible, or service process. Usually there are many
background processes running, so they are kept in an LRU (least
recently used) list to ensure that the process with the activity that
was most recently seen by the user is the last to be killed. If an
activity implements its lifecycle methods correctly, and captures its
current state, killing its process will not have a deleterious effect
on the user experience.

--
John

"Assumption is the mother of all screw ups."
[Wethern�s Law of Suspended Judgement]
From: Carl on
Justin wrote:
> Carl wrote on [Thu, 12 Aug 2010 10:04:28 -0400]:
>> Justin wrote:

>>> I generally do not kill processes anymore. I did use advanced task
>>> killer but it seemed more hassle than it was worth. I haven't
>>> noticed a difference.
>>>
>> I don't doubt the "difference" part, but I don't see the "hassle"
>> part either. You open the app, press the "Kill" button, and you're
>> done. I do it maybe once a day.
>
> And then it has killed processes I didn't want killed.

You can uncheck the boxes of the apps you don't want killed. They remain
unchecked the next time they start. It's actually pretty easy and pretty
reliable.

>> Moving on, can anyone tell me why some apps start themselves
>> automatically? And I'm not talking about critical apps of any kind
>> either. For two examples, my Music app and my Social Networking app
>> start themselves arbitrarily for no reason that I can understand. I
>> do use the Music app from time to time, but never the Social
>> Networking one. Are they trying to tell me something? :-)
>
> That is a good question. Some apps start due to events, and really,
> does Verizon really need to install the City ID app (2.99 a month I
> think) on every phone?

Yes, the City ID is one of the apps that starts itself. I don't get it. I
think I uninstalled it (I have to check) and it still starts itself...but,
ATK does shut it down for quite some time until it restarts eventually, days
later.

From: Carl on
John Navas wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 09:24:39 -0400, in
> <4c63f618$0$4989$607ed4bc(a)cv.net>, "Carl"
> <crothman(a)NOSPAMoptonline.net> wrote:
>
>> John Navas wrote:
>>> FWIW, my own personal list. Suggestions welcome.
>>>
>> After surveying all the lists posted here, I was surprised to not
>> find Advanced Task Killer on anyone's list (unless I missed it?).
>> How do you guys/gals clear your memory periodically? Or do you just
>> let all those apps run in the background all the time with no ill
>> result?
>
> Android will automatically close background apps when it needs their
> memory. State is saved so they can be restarted seamlessly (assuming
> they are properly programmed). Thus there's rarely any real need to
> kill apps. In the few cases when I do need to kill a task (like a
> misbehaving app), I use Astro File Manager, which I prefer to Advanced
> Task Killer.
>
>> And last for me, Barcode Scanner is an amazing app which allows me
>> to do price comparison shopping in stores that tag their merchandise
>> with bar codes.
>
> Have you tried Google Shopper?

Yes, I think I preferred the way Barcode Scanner worked overall. Besides, I
like its name better. :-)