From: Thomas Goodson on
Hi, I have several SBS systems in the field in addition to my own. On my
own system I have been trying to get incoming fax routing to work. So far I
can route the fax to a SharePoint document library, a folder and to the
printer. But, I can't get it to route to my exchange email. The fax
console shows that the incoming item is retrying routing until it reaches
the max retries, then it fails. I've tried several KB articles that seemed
to apply, but in each case, they only showed that I had everything setup
correctly! I'd like to be able to deploy fax->email as a solution for my
customers, but can't until I get my own working. From the event log:

The Fax Service failed to execute a specific routing method. The service
will retry to route the fax according to the retries configuration. If the
retries fail, verify routing method configuration.
Job ID: 0x0401c637d133510c.
Received on Device: 'Standard 28800 bps Modem'
Sent from: '269 999 9999'
Received file name: 'C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\MSFax\Queue\1C637D133510C.tif'.
Routing extension name: 'Microsoft Routing Extension'
Routing method name: 'Route through e-mail'

Unable to route fax C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application
Data\Microsoft\Windows NT\MSFax\Queue\1C637D133510C.tif to the requested
e-mail address.

The following error occurred: 0x00000523
This error code indicates the cause of the error.

Check the SMTP server configuration, and correct any anomalies.

From: "Jenny wu [MSFT]" on
Hi Thomas,

Thanks for using the SBS newsgroup.

According to your description, I understand you could not route your
incoming fax through email, and received 32089 error event in the event
logs. If I have misunderstood your concern, please don't hesitate to let me
know.

Based on my research, this issue could be mostly caused by that you have
installed some third-party Antivirus/Antispam software (MCAFee and so on)
and localhost TCP 25 is blocked to send email. To further isolate this
issue, I would suggest you run the following command on the SBS server.

Telnet localhost 25

A correct and expected output in the prompt window should be as following

220 Domain.com Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service, Version: 6.0.3790.211 ready at
Tue,
24 May 2005 20:16:20 -0700

- If the command fails to finish, you may need to configure your
Antivirus/Antispam software and unblock the localhost configuration.

- If the command finishes successfully,

1. Please use the following steps to confirm the Fax service has been
configured correctly.

1) Open Server Management
2) Right-click on Fax (Local) container
3) Select "Properties"
4) Select "Receipts" tab

Message Box - check the option "Enable Message Boxes as receipts"
SMTP E-mail
"Enable SMTP Receipts e-mail receipts delivery" is enabled
"From e-mail address" should be listed as
SBSFaxService(a)externaldomain.com
Authentication - should be Anonymous access
Check the option in "Use these SMTP Settings for the Route through
E-mail incoming routing method"

Restarted the Shared Fax Service if there are any changes.

2. Please verify the mailbox to receive the incoming faxes has a valid
e-mail address and the Exchange Sever can correctly send and receive
e-mail.

3. Please refer to the below steps to Re-register fxsroute.dll (regsvr32
fxsroute.dll):

A. Locate the fxsroute.dll from the CD3\SBS\CLIENTAPPS\FAXCLIENT folder.
B. Copy this file to the %systemroot%\system32 folder on the SBS Server.
C. Click Start, click Run, type cmd in the Open box, and then click OK.
D. At the MS-DOS prompt, type cd c:\windows\system32, and then press
ENTER.
E. At the next prompt, type regsvr32 /u fxsroute.dll, and then press
ENTER.
F. After you receive the following message, type exit at the prompt, and
then press ENTER:

Dll register server in fxsroute.dll succeeded.

G. Restart your computer.

4. Open Exchange System Manager, expand Servers\your
server\Protocols\SMTP, right-click Default SMTP Virtual Server and click
Properties. On the Access tab, click the Connection button under
"Connection control". If it is set to "Only the list below", select "All
except the list below" and list only the IP addresses of computers for
which you specifically want to deny connections. Stop and start the SMTP
virtual server, check if the issue still occurs.

Hope above information helps! I am happy to be of assistance to you and
look forward to your reply!

Have a nice day!

Sincerely,

Jenny Wu
Microsoft CSS Online Newsgroup Support
You can locate the newsgroup here:

issue.

--------------------

From: Thomas Goodson on
Ok, the telnet command completed without trouble. The settings in the Fax
service were as you suggested, except Authentication which was set to basic,
resetting to Anonymous had no effect. Restarted. Got an error message
trying to re-register fxsroute.dll

regsvr32 / u fxsroute.dll
"fxsroute.dll was loaded, but DllUnregisterServer entry point was not found.
This file can not be registered."

regsvr32 fxsroute.dll
"fxsroute.dll was loaded, but DllRegisterServer entry point was not found.
This file can not be registered."

Connection control was set as you suggested.

Also, if I open the fax console app, select a message in the inbox, right
click and select "mail to" I get the message "Mail system DLL is invalid".

There is presently no AV/AS software on the computer and am using the basic
SBS firewall (not ISA) which has been configured to allow email, ftp, and
web access. I have tried removing the firewall with no change.
** Tom **

From: "Jenny wu [MSFT]" on
Hi Tom,

Thanks for your update.

The fxsroute.dll has been re-registry properly, you can test the issue to
see if the issue is resolved.

Regarding to the error message "Mail system DLL is invalid", the behavior
is normal for you have not installed outlook on the server box.

If the issue persists, please continue try the 4th steps in my previous
post and let me know the result.

If the issue persists, please enable Message Tracking and SMTP logging to
trouble shoot the issue. You can mail me the message tracking log and smtp
log for analyze. And let me know the information: exact fax sender number,
recipient mail address and time when the issue happens.

Enable SMTP logging:

Open the properties page of the Default SMTP Vitual Server in Exchange
System Manager.
On the General tab, check the "Enable logging" box.
Click Properties, click the Advanced tab and check all the boxes on the
list.
Click OK twice.
Stop and restart the SMTP virtual server.
Try reproducing the issue.
Stop the SMTP virtual server.
Go to the C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles\SMTPSVC1 folder and upload the file
to the thread or mail it to me.

To enable the Message Tracking logs, please perform the steps in the
following KB articles:

823864 Improved Message Tracking Features in Exchange Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=823864

821910 How to troubleshoot for Exchange Server 2003 transport issues
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=821910

I appreciate your time!

From: Thomas Goodson on
Ok, found the problem. It seems that I had long ago, disabled Anonymous
access for the Virtual SMTP Server, turned that back on and it works. But
this brings up the question: why won't Fax Authenticate? It certainly has
the option for it and I had it set to basic (same as my SMTP) and a valid
user name and password entered.

While I dislike having Anonymous access on SMTP, I guess that I can live
with it as long as I have relaying disabled!

Thanks for taking the time to help point me in the right direction.

** Tom **

 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: What is MSSQL$HPDSDB?