From: Ivor Jones on

Hi All

I have an Acer Aspire 1 netbook running Fedora 11, all has been fine
until tonight when it wanted to do a software update, something which
has gone without problems before now.

This time however the update completed with the message that one
dependency (don't remember what) couldn't be found, but it's done that
before without issue also.

Anyway it completed and said it wanted to reboot, however once past the
(brief) option to enter the grub menu, the bootup halts and I'm left
sitting at a blank screen.

I retried the process but editing out the 'rhgb quiet' portion from the
'grub append' line and get the following:

JBD: no valid journal superblock found
EXT3-fs: error loading journal

Anyone got any ideas before I do a complete reinstall..? I'd rather not
do this if at all possible, not that there's a lot of data on the drive
but it takes ages to configure things the way I like it.

As you can probably tell I'm a bit of a Linux newbie so any assistance
gratefully received.

Cheers

Ivor

From: Nix on
On 11 Nov 2009, Ivor Jones uttered the following:
> Anyway it completed and said it wanted to reboot, however once past
> the (brief) option to enter the grub menu, the bootup halts and I'm
> left sitting at a blank screen.
>
> I retried the process but editing out the 'rhgb quiet' portion from
> the 'grub append' line and get the following:
>
> JBD: no valid journal superblock found
> EXT3-fs: error loading journal

Yay filesystem damage! It looks like the filesystem is there, but the
journal (that records writes in progress but not yet committed) has
vanished out from under it (how? Strange.)

> Anyone got any ideas before I do a complete reinstall..? I'd rather
> not do this if at all possible, not that there's a lot of data on the
> drive but it takes ages to configure things the way I like it.

If you can boot from the install media, it almost always gives you an
option to get a shell. Once you've got that, getting to the block device
is somewhat more amusing, but this sequence might do it (some of the
commands might give errors if they're not even there):

mdadm --assemble --scan --auto=md
lvm vgscan --ignorelockingfailure --mknodes && lvm vgchange -ay --ignorelockingfailure
mdadm --assemble --scan --auto=md

You should now have a root filesystem in a block device somewhere. The
problem is finding it.

First, let's give the LVM volumes a good checking:

for name in /dev/mapper/*; do [[ "$name" = "/dev/mapper/control" ]] || e2fsck -fy $name; done

('f' means 'check no matter whether we've checked it recently'; 'y'
means 'answer yes to all questions about disk modification', and it's in
there only because you're contemplating a reinstall anyway and because
most of the questions it asks are greek to non-fs hackers. Feel free to
drop the 'y' or replace if with a 'n' if you only want to see if there
is damage, and not fix it at this stage.)

But the root filesystem may well not be on LVM.

sfdisk -l /dev/hd[a-z] /dev/sd[a-z]

will give you a listing of all your partitions, so you can pick out the ones
that claims to be 'Linux' and e2fsck them as well, something like

e2fsck -fy /dev/sda1

if sda1 was one that claimed to be of type 'Linux'.

(The filesystem type ID in the partition table is an almost totally
useless historical artifact, and is never used by Linux at all. It
pretty much exists entirely for emergency situations like this, so you
can pluck your partitions out of a mass of others and not end up
accidentally fscking your windows installation or swap device.)

You should then have a filesystem back. e2fsck is pretty good so unless
the damage was really bad most of the data will probably be OK. But this
is definitely 'touch wood' territory now, as with any filesystem
recovery on any OS.

> As you can probably tell I'm a bit of a Linux newbie so any assistance
> gratefully received.

Bad luck getting fs corruption so soon then :( I think I've seen three
serious cases in twelve years, discounting those that were down to bugs
I'd just introduced: all were due to hardware failure (mostly the disk
not bothering to seek when asked but claiming it had seeked, so it then
proceeded to write data in the wrong place, generally all over critical
filesystem structures. Damn buggy drive firmware.)
From: Ivor Jones on
On 12/11/09 13:36, Nix wrote:
> On 11 Nov 2009, Ivor Jones uttered the following:
>> Anyway it completed and said it wanted to reboot, however once past
>> the (brief) option to enter the grub menu, the bootup halts and I'm
>> left sitting at a blank screen.
>>
>> I retried the process but editing out the 'rhgb quiet' portion from
>> the 'grub append' line and get the following:
>>
>> JBD: no valid journal superblock found
>> EXT3-fs: error loading journal
>
> Yay filesystem damage! It looks like the filesystem is there, but the
> journal (that records writes in progress but not yet committed) has
> vanished out from under it (how? Strange.)

[snip]

Thanks a lot for the detailed information, but it's a bit beyond me..!
Anyway as there wasn't a great deal of locally stored information (the
machine is mainly used for internet broswing/email etc. when away from
home) I decided on the re-install route and as Fedora 12 came out
yesterday I went for that, which has installed a treat, now all I have
to do is configure everything..!

Note to self - backup config files at the very least..!

Cheers

Ivor
From: Martin Gregorie on
On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 21:33:25 +0000, Ivor Jones wrote:

> On 12/11/09 13:36, Nix wrote:
>> On 11 Nov 2009, Ivor Jones uttered the following:
>>> Anyway it completed and said it wanted to reboot, however once past
>>> the (brief) option to enter the grub menu, the bootup halts and I'm
>>> left sitting at a blank screen.
>>>
>>> I retried the process but editing out the 'rhgb quiet' portion from
>>> the 'grub append' line and get the following:
>>>
>>> JBD: no valid journal superblock found EXT3-fs: error loading journal
>>
>> Yay filesystem damage! It looks like the filesystem is there, but the
>> journal (that records writes in progress but not yet committed) has
>> vanished out from under it (how? Strange.)
>
> [snip]
>
> Thanks a lot for the detailed information, but it's a bit beyond me..!
> Anyway as there wasn't a great deal of locally stored information (the
> machine is mainly used for internet broswing/email etc. when away from
> home) I decided on the re-install route and as Fedora 12 came out
> yesterday I went for that, which has installed a treat, now all I have
> to do is configure everything..!
>
> Note to self - backup config files at the very least..!

Look into using:

- CVS to keep versions of config files as you change them (set up a
CVS user as the place for it to put its repository and don't use
that login for anything else

- Use a USB portable drive for backups and do the job with rsync.
That gives the fastest backup you're likely to find.

This combo means you really only have to back up /home if you're happy to
reinstall any programs, etc. that aren't part of the distro.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
From: Nix on
On 18 Nov 2009, Martin Gregorie spake thusly:
> Look into using:
>
> - CVS to keep versions of config files as you change them (set up a
> CVS user as the place for it to put its repository and don't use
> that login for anything else

I'd recommend using something not obsolete that doesn't destroy
permissions and ownership, which are often critical with config files.

Personally I like etckeeper. (Or just keep backups.)

> - Use a USB portable drive for backups and do the job with rsync.
> That gives the fastest backup you're likely to find.

Do the job with rdiff-backup, and you get the speed of rsync, optional
remote backups, and efficient storage of backups gone by as well. (I
back up every night, and at the rate I use space on my 1Tb USB drive,
I'll have to start discarding old backups in about ten years, by which
point I expect the drive to have packed it in!)
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Blocking iPlayer
Next: Linux for the elderly?