From: Simon J. Rowe on
My darling children are very good at burning my 20Gb bandwidth limit in a
week. I've dealt with youtube by redirecting youtube.com in my DNS cache but
iPlayer is proving more difficult.

Anyone got a suggestion how I can limit access?
Simon

From: Whiskers on
On 2009-11-09, Simon J. Rowe <srowe(a)mose.org.uk> wrote:
> My darling children are very good at burning my 20Gb bandwidth limit in a
> week. I've dealt with youtube by redirecting youtube.com in my DNS cache but
> iPlayer is proving more difficult.
>
> Anyone got a suggestion how I can limit access?
> Simon

Add http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/ to your hosts file or firewall or your
router's 'block' settings?

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers
From: Neil Ellwood on
On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 21:31:54 +0000, Simon J. Rowe wrote:

> My darling children are very good at burning my 20Gb bandwidth limit in
> a week. I've dealt with youtube by redirecting youtube.com in my DNS
> cache but iPlayer is proving more difficult.
>
> Anyone got a suggestion how I can limit access?
> Simon

change your passwords and keep them secret.

--
Neil
Reverse 'r and a' Delete 'l'
From: Chris on
Simon J. Rowe wrote:

> My darling children are very good at burning my 20Gb bandwidth
> limit in a week. I've dealt with youtube by redirecting youtube.com
> in my DNS cache but iPlayer is proving more difficult.
>
> Anyone got a suggestion how I can limit access?

My children are still a bit young, but in preparation I've done a
little background reading. From what I've seen, things like squid
and/or dansguardian should be able to do what you want.
http://www.squid-cache.org/
http://dansguardian.org/

HTH
Chris

--
The email address is a spam trap. I rarely use it.
From: Geoffrey Clements on
"Chris" <ithinkiam(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Simon J. Rowe wrote:
>
>> My darling children are very good at burning my 20Gb bandwidth
>> limit in a week. I've dealt with youtube by redirecting youtube.com
>> in my DNS cache but iPlayer is proving more difficult.
>>
>> Anyone got a suggestion how I can limit access?
>
> My children are still a bit young, but in preparation I've done a
> little background reading. From what I've seen, things like squid
> and/or dansguardian should be able to do what you want.
> http://www.squid-cache.org/
> http://dansguardian.org/

I remember looking into this a few years back and the combination of squid
and dansguardian looked promising. I didn't look too deep into it but at the
time it looked like I would have to manipulate iptables to redirect
destination ports 80 and 443 to other ports on localhost. However I was
never sure how I would stop squid from being redirected to itself. The other
problem is that *I* don't want to use the proxy and AFAIK there's no way to
identify users in iptables.

Setting up the browsers to use a proxy always seemed like a non-starter as
it's easily defeated.

These days I have a server on 24/7 so I could redirect to this but I don't
like being dependant on having two machines working to get on the www.

--
Geoff