From: Chris on
alexd wrote:

> Meanwhile, at the uk.comp.os.linux Job Justification Hearings,
> Chris chose the tried and tested strategy of:
>
>> If you're paying £30pm then yes, it's stingy, but at £15pm, I
>> think not. If you want more, you pay more.
>
> For £17.50 he could have Be with no limits.

Assuming he has Be at his local exchange, which is more than likely
not to be the case.

--
The email address is a spam trap. I rarely use it.
From: Owain on
On 13 Nov, 11:42, "Dave Liquorice" wrote:
> Last month my lad "discovered" YouTube, download consumption has shot
> up from 6 or 7GB/month previously to around 15GB/month. And that's
> crappy YouTube stuff not iPlayer.

Wait till he "discovers" xtube ...

Owain

From: Darren Salt on
I demand that Chris Davies may or may not have written...

[snip]
> Mind you, an hour of HD weighs in at around (IIRC) 1.5 GB and for one-off
> watching I simply can't be bothered with the effort (or the bandwidth).

An hour's worth of BBC1 (as broadcast) takes up about 1.4GB these days.

--
| Darren Salt | linux at youmustbejoking | nr. Ashington, | Doon
| using Debian GNU/Linux | or ds ,demon,co,uk | Northumberland | Army
| + http://www.youmustbejoking.demon.co.uk/

Pull yourself together; things are not all that bad.
From: Chris Davies on
Darren Salt <news(a)youmustbejoking.demon.cu.invalid> wrote:
> I demand that Chris Davies may or may not have written...

>> Mind you, an hour of HD weighs in at around (IIRC) 1.5 GB and for one-off
>> watching I simply can't be bothered with the effort (or the bandwidth).

> An hour's worth of BBC1 (as broadcast) takes up about 1.4GB these days.

Maybe it does, and since I don't bother worrying about broadcast capture
I won't argue. But what I would strongly recommend is that you take a
look at the quality/diskspace tradeoff provided via a decent quality
H.264 download from iPlayer.

If you want to contact me offlist I'll happily provide a short segment
from something I downloaded in the past seven days.

Chris
From: Andy Furniss on
rich wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Nov 2009 20:33:42 +0000, Andy Furniss wrote:

> FWIW as a comparison I downloaded the same 8 minute-ish youtube using
> both clive and youtube-dl with odd results.

Strange - I don't often use it or youtube.

I did notice that some youtube vids now display larger in browser but if
you hit the hq button you get a smaller version. I also, using -b on an
old youtube-dl have got smaller versions than browser.

Using latest youtube-dl I tried an xfactor clip which does this (in
browser) today and -b does now get the big version, without the -b gave
much lower quality, it would be handy if like get_iplayer you could list
all the available files, but I couldn't see a way.

Details from mplayer. The quality on the -b wasn't that bad -

VIDEO: [H264] 854x480 0bpp 25.000 fps 1229.7 kbps (150.1 kbyte/s)
Clip info:
duration: 386
starttime: 0
totalduration: 386
width: 854
height: 480
videodatarate: 1201
audiodatarate: 96
totaldatarate: 1303
framerate: 25
bytelength: 62978910

I guess without -b you get the lowest -

VIDEO: [FLV1] 400x226 0bpp 25.000 fps 266.6 kbps (32.5 kbyte/s)
Clip info:
duration: 386
starttime: 0
totalduration: 386