From: Chris on
Last night I tried installing Ubuntu 9.10 along-side my default linux
install (Mepis). The install went fine, but Ubuntu overwrote my MBR.
Restoring the Mepis one worked fine, but now I can't chainload
ubuntu.

Ubuntu is on the /dev/sda7 partition and the grub entry I have is:

root (hd0,6)
chainloader +1

I forget the exact error (sorry, it was late), but it was something
along the lines of: error 13 invalid partition. Could this be a
Grub2 problem? Or, thinking about it, an ext4/Grub1 incompatibility?
TIA

--
The email address is a spam trap. I rarely use it.
From: Geoffrey Clements on
"Chris" <ithinkiam(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
> Last night I tried installing Ubuntu 9.10 along-side my default linux
> install (Mepis). The install went fine, but Ubuntu overwrote my MBR.
> Restoring the Mepis one worked fine, but now I can't chainload
> ubuntu.
>
> Ubuntu is on the /dev/sda7 partition and the grub entry I have is:
>
> root (hd0,6)
> chainloader +1
>
> I forget the exact error (sorry, it was late), but it was something
> along the lines of: error 13 invalid partition. Could this be a
> Grub2 problem? Or, thinking about it, an ext4/Grub1 incompatibility?
> TIA

If it's grub2 then you should use root (hd0,7).

If it's grub1 then I don't think it will handle ext4 so updating to grub2
(grub-pc) might be the answer.

--
Geoff

From: Chris on
Geoffrey Clements wrote:

> "Chris" <ithinkiam(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Last night I tried installing Ubuntu 9.10 along-side my default
>> linux install (Mepis). The install went fine, but Ubuntu overwrote
>> my MBR. Restoring the Mepis one worked fine, but now I can't
>> chainload ubuntu.
>>
>> Ubuntu is on the /dev/sda7 partition and the grub entry I have is:
>>
>> root (hd0,6)
>> chainloader +1
>>
>> I forget the exact error (sorry, it was late), but it was
>> something along the lines of: error 13 invalid partition. Could
>> this be a Grub2 problem? Or, thinking about it, an ext4/Grub1
>> incompatibility? TIA
>>

> If it's grub2 then you should use root (hd0,7).

Why? Has it changed it's numbering scheme?

> If it's grub1 then I don't think it will handle ext4 so updating to
> grub2 (grub-pc) might be the answer.

Yeah, that's probably it. Any idea how painful/less that is? i.e. is
it just a drop-in replacement that will use my current grub menu.lst
file?

--
The email address is a spam trap. I rarely use it.
From: Tony Houghton on
On Fri, 6 Nov 2009 11:31:58 -0000
"Geoffrey Clements" <geoffrey.clementsNO(a)SPAMbaesystems.com> wrote:

> If it's grub1 then I don't think it will handle ext4 so updating to grub2
> (grub-pc) might be the answer.

I think it does handle ext4, because my root partition is ext4 and I'm
sticking with grub1 (grub-legacy). grub2 should still be consigned to
"experimental", it's nowhere near ready for mainstream distros yet IMO.

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk

From: Ian Northeast on
On Fri, 06 Nov 2009 09:49:42 +0000, Chris wrote:

> Last night I tried installing Ubuntu 9.10 along-side my default linux
> install (Mepis). The install went fine, but Ubuntu overwrote my MBR.
> Restoring the Mepis one worked fine, but now I can't chainload ubuntu.
>
> Ubuntu is on the /dev/sda7 partition and the grub entry I have is:
>
> root (hd0,6)
> chainloader +1
>
> I forget the exact error (sorry, it was late), but it was something along
> the lines of: error 13 invalid partition. Could this be a Grub2 problem?
> Or, thinking about it, an ext4/Grub1 incompatibility? TIA

If Ubuntu overwrote your MBR then presumably it installed its boot loader
there rather than onto the start of sda7. Did it ask about this?
Installers normally do.

If this is the case then there is no boot loader on sda7 to chain to. You
may need to use a rescue disc to install one.

You may also need "rootnoverify" rather than "root".

Regards, Ian