From: chris on
On 06/11/2009 16:37, Ian Northeast wrote:
> On Fri, 06 Nov 2009 13:46:44 +0000, Chris wrote:
>
>> Ian Northeast wrote:
>
>>> If Ubuntu overwrote your MBR then presumably it installed its boot
>>> loader there rather than onto the start of sda7. Did it ask about this?
>>> Installers normally do.
>>
>> Annoyingly, it didn't. I was expecting it would, which is annoying. Also
>> the default ubuntu boot screen is spectacularly dull.
>>
>>> If this is the case then there is no boot loader on sda7 to chain to.
>>> You may need to use a rescue disc to install one.
>>
>> Ah, of course! I'm not at all familiar with ubuntu, can I do it with it's
>> live CD?
>
> I don't know Ubuntu either, but I'd be very surprised if you couldn't,
> it's one of the commonest tasks a boot CD is needed for. You may have to
> mount your Ubuntu root filesystem somewhere and chroot to it before
> running grub-install (specifying the partition as the boot loader
> location).
>
>>> You may also need "rootnoverify" rather than "root".
>>
>> I'll try that too, but I suspect it's the above.

For various reasons I needed to re-install Ubuntu anyway, so I found the
option to install grub in its own partition rather than MBR. It was
under a small 'Advanced' button. A quick edit of my usual grub menu.lst
and Ubuntu is being chainloaded fine by grub 1.

Thanks to all for help.
From: Chris on
Geoff Clements wrote:

> Chris wrote:
>
>> Geoffrey Clements wrote:
>>
>>> "Chris" <ithinkiam(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

>>> If it's grub2 then you should use root (hd0,7).
>>
>> Why?
>
> Yes, partitions are numbered from 1 not 0.

But not disks? That seems confusing.

--
The email address is a spam trap. I rarely use it.
From: Geoffrey Clements on
> Geoff Clements wrote:
>
>> Chris wrote:

>>> Why?
>>
>> Yes, partitions are numbered from 1 not 0.
>
> But not disks? That seems confusing.

Yeah - I had to double check that, there's nothing that I could find that
said that disk numbering had changed but there was a paragraph that said
that partition numbering had changed.

I suppose it makes sense in that it's a closer match to the linux scheme,
i.e hda4 becomes (hd0, 4) so no more off-by-one errors (unless you happen to
be an ex-grub1 user) but if it were me I'd have just changed to the linux
scheme completely, I know grub boots more than linux but it must be the most
often booted OS by grub.

--
Geoff