From: Chris Davies on
Darren Salt <news(a)youmustbejoking.demon.cu.invalid> wrote:
> Yes. But you _did_ mention deprecation, and it's _that_ which would be silly.

Ah, yes. I see your point.

However, checking through what I claimed, I've taken another look around
and *as far as I can tell* I appear to have misread one of the deprecation
notices and it's NOT --uid-owner that's deprecated, so the OP should be
alright to consider using it.

Cheers,
Chris
From: Mike Civil on
In article <87zl6rri5i.fsf(a)spindle.srvr.nix>,
Nix <$}xinix{$@esperi.org.uk> wrote:
>It mystifies me why beating people up is believed to be a good way to
>adjust their behaviour: nobody would consider it acceptable on a
>twenty-year-old, who can defend himself, so why would you consider it
>acceptable here? If they're old enough to have language, use it! (Being
>old enough to use a web browser and navigate youtube implies old enough
>to have language in my book.)

I think your humour bypass op may be considered a total success:)
From: alexd on
Meanwhile, at the uk.comp.os.linux Job Justification Hearings, Simon J. Rowe
chose the tried and tested strategy of:

> My darling children are very good at burning my 20Gb bandwidth limit in a
> week. I've dealt with youtube by redirecting youtube.com in my DNS cache but
> iPlayer is proving more difficult.
>
> Anyone got a suggestion how I can limit access?

Given that everyone else has chucked their penn'orth in, might I suggest
changing ISP to one that gives you more than a rather stingy 20GB a month?

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) (UnSoEsNpEaTm(a)ale.cx)
21:59:36 up 25 days, 23:35, 4 users, load average: 0.02, 0.11, 0.14

From: Chris on
alexd wrote:

> Meanwhile, at the uk.comp.os.linux Job Justification Hearings,
> Simon J. Rowe chose the tried and tested strategy of:
>
>> My darling children are very good at burning my 20Gb bandwidth
>> limit in a week. I've dealt with youtube by redirecting
>> youtube.com in my DNS cache but iPlayer is proving more difficult.
>>
>> Anyone got a suggestion how I can limit access?
>
> Given that everyone else has chucked their penn'orth in, might I
> suggest changing ISP to one that gives you more than a rather
> stingy 20GB a month?

Is 20GB/month stingy, really?

It may also be that the OP doesn't want to pay for more bandwidth...

--
The email address is a spam trap. I rarely use it.
From: Dave Liquorice on
On Fri, 13 Nov 2009 10:04:12 +0000, Chris wrote:

> Is 20GB/month stingy, really?

It is when you start to use iPlayer for more than just catching up
with an odd programme here or there. A single half hour programme
takes 700 odd MB.

Last month my lad "discovered" YouTube, download consumption has shot
up from 6 or 7GB/month previously to around 15GB/month. And that's
crappy YouTube stuff not iPlayer.

--
Cheers
Dave.