From: James A. Crittenden on

When I attempt online activation of my Fidelity Netbenefits
401k account using the username and password which I
have established for access via their web page, a good deal of
connectivity occurs (e.g. '... downloading fi information ...')
then I get a final message box:
Quicken could not complete your request. Please try again later.

I called Fidelity customer service, who verified that my
account is set up with the online statement option and the
required e-mail address is present. However, they said,
my employer has not set up the account to allow for
downloading account activity.

Our senior HR person responsible for fidelity 401k accounts
has informed me that he doesn't know what they are talking
about.

Has anybody else seen this symptom (Quicken 2005 Premier)?
Lots of people download from netbenefits, as far as I
can tell, so I don't expect there to be any special
complication. Does anyone know what it is that the
employer might have to do to allow downloading
account activity from netbenefits?

thanks, jim

From: Mike on

James A. Crittenden wrote:
> When I attempt online activation of my Fidelity Netbenefits
> 401k account using the username and password which I
> have established for access via their web page, a good deal of
> connectivity occurs (e.g. '... downloading fi information ...')
> then I get a final message box:
> Quicken could not complete your request. Please try again later.
>
> I called Fidelity customer service, who verified that my
> account is set up with the online statement option and the
> required e-mail address is present. However, they said,
> my employer has not set up the account to allow for
> downloading account activity.
>
> Our senior HR person responsible for fidelity 401k accounts
> has informed me that he doesn't know what they are talking
> about.
>
> Has anybody else seen this symptom (Quicken 2005 Premier)?
> Lots of people download from netbenefits, as far as I
> can tell, so I don't expect there to be any special
> complication. Does anyone know what it is that the
> employer might have to do to allow downloading
> account activity from netbenefits?
>
> thanks, jim

I'm in the same boat as you. It seems that the online download is a
feature Fidelity offers. If the Employer doesn't order that feature,
you don't get to download.

From: AlanH220 on
Speaking as the plan sponsor of a reasonably large Fidelity 401(k) and
non-qualified plan - the answer is easy -

Get your benefits dept head to call the Fidelity client relationship manager
and ask that Money/Quicken downloading features be switched "on" right
away...

Your senior HR person sounds like a doofus - ask him/her when the last time
was that they logged into NetBenefits and looked at the "History" screen?
(You'll see the prompt for Money/Quicken accounts...)

It literally is a system "switch" and requires one overnight processing
cycle to become effective. But Fidelity can't do it without specific
direction from the client (i.e. your employer)....

I'd guess Cornell's plan is in Fidelity's "Large Plan Services" or LPS
group.... this is where the huge plans are, and service levels are highest -
I have to believe this is something Fidelity would jump all over - but your
benefits group has to ask for it. If you don't get action, look up who sits
on the oversight committee for the Plan, and contact some of the members
(typically Treasurer, Controller etc.) - that usually gets HR's lead out.

Alan in Hoboken

From: James A. Crittenden on
Thanks, Alan. I thought it had to be something like this.
I wonder if it could really be true that I am the first
Cornell employee to request this.

When I log in to www.fidelity.com/atwork, I
do not see a prompt for Money/Quicken accounts on
the history screen. Will the HR person see something
different?

Supposing I succeed in getting HR to throw this switch,
should I expect only future transactions to be downloadable,
or might all past transaction be accessible as well. Or perhaps
only those back to some earlier date?

I am baffled as to why there should be any resistance from
HR on this. They do allow transaction downloading from
their TIAA-CREF accounts.

-- jim

From: Mike on
Alan,
Thank you! I had the impression from the HR dept that it was a cost
feature and that it was helpiing hold down costs not to turn it on. I'm
back on this again! Your post is much appreciated.

MikeB