From: P T on
I use Quicken 2004 Deluxe and WinXP Home. I'm about to set up a replacement
computer and want to move Quicken to it. I assume that the first step is to
install the Quicken program on the new computer. There's an existing folder
QuickenW\Backup, which seems to be the only identifiable backup material.

Is it enough to copy this folder over to the new computer, or are there
other steps needed?

--
PT

From: Mbt6 on

"P T" <xyz(a)xyz.com> wrote in message
>I use Quicken 2004 Deluxe and WinXP Home. I'm about to set up a
>replacement
> computer and want to move Quicken to it. I assume that the first step is
> install the Quicken program on the new computer. There's an existing
> folder
> QuickenW\Backup, which seems to be the only identifiable backup material.
>
> Is it enough to copy this folder over to the new computer, or are there
> other steps needed?
>
> --
> PT

Just do a back up of your current work on old computer. Then move it to a
CD, or a directory the new computer can read from. Then from Quicken do a
File / Restore Backup File from new computer....it'll let you restore from
anywhere onto a clean install.

From: R. C. White on
Hi, PT.

Mbt6 gave you good advice: backup from the old; restore on the new.

That \QuickenW\Backup folder is where Quicken saves the automatic backups
that it makes weekly. If you take a look at it, you should see sets of
files dated each of the past 5 weeks. The newest set will have your data
filename with "01" attached. For example, if your main file is PT.QDF, then
the latest set of backups will be PT01.QDF, PT01.QEL, etc., with the
extensions other than .qdf depending on how YOU use Quicken. When each
week's file is backed up, PT05 is deleted, then PT04 is renamed PT05, then
PT03 becomes PT04, and so on until PT01 is renamed PT02 - and then your
current fileset is saved as PT01.*.

By default, Quicken keeps its current working fileset right in the QuickenW
folder. QuickenW\Backup\PT01.QDF might be up to a week old, but
QuickenW\PT.QDF should be up to the minute. If you decide to use Windows
tools (such as Windows Explorer) to do the copy or backup, be sure to
include the full fileset, not just the .QDF file. If you let Quicken handle
the backup and restore, it will automatically include the full fileset,
which it persists in referring to as a single Quicken "file". There's no
need to transfer the Backup\PT01, etc., filesets, unless you are a belt AND
suspenders kind of guy. ;^} They will be rebuilt automatically over the
next 5 weeks on your new system.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
(Retired - no longer licensed to practice)

From: R. C. White on
Whoops! Slight correction...

> The newest set will have your data filename with "01" attached. For
> example, if your main file is PT.QDF, then the latest set of backups will
> be PT01.QDF, PT01.QEL, etc.

Forget the "0". Quicken appends only the single digit "1". So the
paragraph should read:
> The newest set will have your data filename with "1" attached. For
> example, if your main file is PT.QDF, then the latest set of backups will
> be PT1.QDF, PT1.QEL, etc.

Not important, I know, unless YOU are confused by my original post. ;^]

RC