From: vincentw56 on
I am getting the following error: Field type Comments is not installed
properly. Go to the list settings page to delete this field. I don't know
where to go to fix this. Everytime I try to access it with SharePoint
designer or through site settings, I get this error. I am running WSS 3.0.
--
Vincent Wright
From: Luke Zhang [MSFT] on
Hello Vincent,

Is the site a brand new installation of WSS 3.0, or upgraded from a WSS 2.0
site? And, is there any customized field type defined in the site, named
"Comments"? To check this, you may open the file:

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\web server
extensions\12\TEMPLATE\XML\fldtypes.xml

Is there a element like:

<FieldType>
<Field Name="TypeName">Comments</Field>

Sincerely,

Luke Zhang

Microsoft Online Community Support
ications.

From: vincentw56 on
This was an upgrade from a WSS 2.0 site. There is no field type called
comments in the XML. This is only happening on the one document library. I
don't know if there is a custom field type, but I know I have not put on in.
--
Vincent Wright

From: Luke Zhang [MSFT] on
Hello,

Does the problem only occur on a particular document library, or document
library on the same site. For example, if you create a new document libary
and open it, will the problem happen?

if you can open the document libary, you may check Settings/Document
Library Settings, in Columns, is there a column whose type is Comments?

From: vincentw56 on
It is only this one document library. I cannot open it to get to the
settings. Thanks.
--
Vincent Wright