From: Karl DeSaulniers on
On May 28, 2010, at 4:49 PM, Michael Stowe wrote:

> For that you would probably need to setup a databased system in
> which (best scenario) they would need to register prior to
> downloading or (not so secure) capture their IP address and prevent
> that IP from downloading it again (example below).
>
> Since you are already using the php script to detect the download,
> you could simply add (assuming MySQL) a Mysql query such as:
>
> $result = mysql_query('select dt.downloads, ip.ip_address from
> downloads_table dt RIGHT JOIN downloads_ip ip ON ip.track_id = "%
> your track id%" AND ip.ip_address = "'.$_SERVER
> ['REMOTE_ADDRESS'].'" where dt.track_id = "%your track id%"');
> $results = mysql_fetch_array($result);
>
> if(($results['downloads'] <= 150) && (empty($results
> ['ip_address']))) {
>
> mysql_query('INSERT INTO downloads_ip (track_id,ip_address) VALUES
> ("%track_id%","'.$_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDRESS'].'")'); // insert IP
> into downloads_ip table
> mysql_query('UPDATE downloads_table SET downloads = downloads + 1
> WHERE track_id = "%track_id%" LIMIT 1'); // update the count of the
> downloads
> // do download here
>
> } elseif (!empty($results['ip_address'])) {
> echo 'you have already downloaded this track...';
>
> } else {
> echo 'this track is no longer available for download';
> }
>

> (note I haven't checked the code, but it should give you a quick
> example of how you can keep track of this)
>
> Hope this helps, and if you have any questions just let me know.
>
> Take care,
> Mike :o)
>

> "My command is this: Love each other as I
> have loved you." John 15:12
>
> -----------------------

Oh my.. thank you for that.

Karl DeSaulniers
Design Drumm
http://designdrumm.com

From: Karl DeSaulniers on
Yes the users will have gone through a registration and login to get
to the downloads.
The files will be served from MySQL and output to HTML of Flash.

Karl

Karl DeSaulniers
Design Drumm
http://designdrumm.com

From: Karl DeSaulniers on
This is for a small project of limited edition audio or pictures or
scripts, etc.
Hens, "I'd like" to limit each user in the allotted 150 to be able to
download (whatever it is) only once.
But up to 150 users can get in on it kind of thing.

Karl

Karl DeSaulniers
Design Drumm
http://designdrumm.com

From: "Systems" on
In that case log by login var instead.
1. Create a table that holds the link of the audio file
2. create a join table between the user table and the audio table
3. whenever someone logs in, set the join
4. in your audio link display page set the link to display only if
count(id_user) of join is <150 or username Is logged in join table (so the
150 first authenticated users can retrieve the file more than once...)

Good luck
Eli

This is for a small project of limited edition audio or pictures or scripts,
etc.
Hens, "I'd like" to limit each user in the allotted 150 to be able to
download (whatever it is) only once.
But up to 150 users can get in on it kind of thing.

Karl

On May 28, 2010, at 6:36 PM, Karl DeSaulniers wrote:

> Yes the users will have gone through a registration and login to get
> to the downloads.
> The files will be served from MySQL and output to HTML of Flash.
>
> Karl
>

> On May 28, 2010, at 6:27 PM, Systems wrote:
>
>> While DB logging is definitely the way to do it, I would suggest not
>> to rely on ip logging as authentication mechanism for following
>> reasons:
>> Most end-users are on a dynamic IP.
>> One IP can/will serve multiple users (any large institution with
>> wireless (Universities, Hospitals etc.) will have hundreds or
>> thousands of people surfing with one public IP - which is the IP
>> you're logging)
>>
>> Is there any reason not to log them in by personalized means?
>> (such as
>> email/username)

Karl DeSaulniers
Design Drumm
http://designdrumm.com

From: Karl DeSaulniers on
Nice breakdown. Thank you.
Maybe set up a table that list all the files that user downloads
successfully then revert their ability to download ones they already
have?
Its not that I necessarily am hell-bent on preventing one user from
downloading a file again,
I just want to set it up so the results they have to download from
are -1 less every completed download.
Hens the one they just downloaded is not there anymore.

Thanks for your help.

Karl

Karl DeSaulniers
Design Drumm