From: Karl DeSaulniers on
Hello,
How can I go about restricting the number of downloads of a file on
my server?
For Eg: if I want a music track to only be able to be downloaded by
150 people and thats it.. ever,
how can I go about doing this?

Much obliged,

Karl DeSaulniers
Design Drumm
http://designdrumm.com

From: Adam Schroeder on
Hi Karl --

You can store the file contents outside of the web tree and use PHP to "read" the contents. This allows you to place access control restrictions in the PHP script.

This post talks about doing something similar with images. Obviously, if you have a music track... you'll need to adjust the mime type accordingly.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/258365/php-link-to-image-file-outside-default-web-directory/258380#258380

Good luck.

Adam

From: Karl DeSaulniers on

On May 28, 2010, at 4:18 PM, Adam Schroeder wrote:

> Hi Karl --
>
> You can store the file contents outside of the web tree and use PHP
> to "read" the contents. This allows you to place access control
> restrictions in the PHP script.
>
> This post talks about doing something similar with images.
> Obviously, if you have a music track... you'll need to adjust the
> mime type accordingly.
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/258365/php-link-to-image-file-
> outside-default-web-directory/258380#258380
>
> Good luck.
>
> Adam

Very Nice. Good link.
I think this is the route I may go.
Seems a bit more secure if the php script gains access to the file
through the .htaccess files set-up.

Thanks Adam.

Karl DeSaulniers
Design Drumm
http://designdrumm.com

From: Karl DeSaulniers on

On May 28, 2010, at 4:33 PM, Karl DeSaulniers wrote:

> On May 28, 2010, at 4:18 PM, Adam Schroeder wrote:
>
>> Hi Karl --
>>
>> You can store the file contents outside of the web tree and use
>> PHP to "read" the contents. This allows you to place access
>> control restrictions in the PHP script.
>>
>> This post talks about doing something similar with images.
>> Obviously, if you have a music track... you'll need to adjust the
>> mime type accordingly.
>>
>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/258365/php-link-to-image-file-
>> outside-default-web-directory/258380#258380
>>
>> Good luck.
>>
>> Adam

But how do I tetect if a file has been downloaded by multiple people
and in the process stop someone who has downloaded it once to not be
able to do again?
THX

Karl DeSaulniers
Design Drumm
http://designdrumm.com

From: Adam Schroeder on
Hi Karl --

It depends -- you could track the download logs in a database and limit based on IP.

So your steps would be:

1) User visits PHP script

2) If the user has not downloaded the file before and if the number of downloads is less than 150 then allow them to download.

3) PHP script grabs user's IP address from $_SERVER['REMOTE_ADDR'].

4) When the script's copy function completes, register the user's IP address in a database. You can later check against this to verify they have not downloaded the file.

Using IP addresses for this type of control come with problems... but depending on the importance of the content -- it should be good.

Adam