From: Elmo on
kirkm wrote:
> Joe, I don't seem to have a "Set program access
> and defaults" option there. Can you give me any more info?
> Thanks.

Open Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, and it's listed as the bottom
button on the left.

--
Joe =o)
From: kirkm on

Thanks Joe, Found it, applied it... but no change.

--
kirkm
kirkm's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/111524.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

From: Elmo on
kirkm wrote:
> Thanks Joe, Found it, applied it... but no change.

Here's a hit from a Google search, that might work:

http://www.computing.net/answers/windows-xp/windows-icons/49685.html

Previous correspondence:

kirkm wrote:
> > I had a hardrive crash which upset Firefix, which I had to re-install.
> > I lost the filetype icon for .html files and the usual -
> > Tools-Folder Options-File Types- HTML-Advanced-Change Icon - doesn't
> > work.
> > The files open in Firefox ok, and the Browse dialog shows the icon to
> > select, but they won't come up in Explorer.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks, Kirk

Try the HTM/HTML file association fix here:

http://dougknox.com/xp/file_assoc.htm

Afterwards, you may have to associate the filetypes with Firefox again;
I believe they'll be changed to IE.

kirkm wrote:
> > Thanks Joe, that did change to IE but after re-associating with
> > Firefox, the IE icon stays and still won't change back (to Firefox) !
> >
> > Ah well... progress of sorts!
> >
> > Cheers - Kirk

Maybe this will help.. open the Start Menu, click "Set program access
and defaults", click the down arrow right of "Custom", under "Choose
default web browser, click the circle left of Mozilla Firefox, click OK.

From: kirkm on

Thanks Joe, that was worth seeing and that others have similar
problems.

I was nearly about to tell you, they'd magically come right when I
noticed some are Firefox and same still IE. (.html). If I rename an IE
.html to .htm it changes to FF. Rename it back and its IE.

If I rename a FF .html to .htm (and back again) it stays FF.

I will see what the registry shows, also try clearing cache etc. Have
rebooted without noticing any change.

From: Bob Lucas on
I haven't read every post in this lengthy thread, so I apologise
if I am repeating someone else's suggestion. However, the OP
could try the following:

Open Control Panel.
Click on Folder Options, followed by File Types

Scroll down, and select HTM.
Make sure 'Opens with' shows Internet Explorer. If not, change
the setting to Internet Explorer. And under the 'Change' option,
make sure the box marked 'Always use the selected program to open
this kind of file' has been checked. Save any changes.
Next, click on Advanced and edit the following commands -

For 'Open', the command should be:
"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" %1 (Include
the quotation marks. Note the space between EXE" and %1)
Check the 'Use DDE' box. The DDE Message should be
"%1",,-1,0,,,, (exactly as shown, including the quotation marks)

For 'Open in same window', the command should be:
"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE" -nohome
and the DDE Message should be "file://%1",,-1,,,,,

Save any changes.

In the list of File Types, scroll down to HTML. Repeat all of
these steps.