From: jeff on
Never again will I use the FAST tool to transfer files from one
computer before reghosting... However; it was done and now I have to
resolve the issue.

Windows XP Media Center Edition. The files were backed up to a flash
USB device. The only file created on the flash is called USMT2IMG.DAT.

Error Received:
"An error occurred while the wizard was loading your data.
The wizard cannot create the data needed to save your settings. Make
sure you have enough disk space available.

To close this wizard, click Finish."

With filemon I see a temporary directory being created until the error.

I've found and doenloaded fastconv.exe, but since it was stored on
removable media every article refers to the Rmv2opq Tool, which cannot
be found on Microsoft, the OS, or the Internet.

Firstly, does anyone know where to download the Rmv2opq Tool?

Secondly, any suggestions on what has worked for people in the past. I
know what files I want, so even a manual extraction would be OK.

Thanks in advance.

From: PA Bear on
How big is the "flash USB device"?

Start here:

Using WinXP's FAST Wizard, by MVP Gary Woodruff
http://aumha.org/win5/a/fast.htm
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE, Shell/User, Security), Aumha.org VSOP, DTS-L.org

From: Ron Martell on
jeff(a)weyenbergfamily.com wrote:

>Never again will I use the FAST tool to transfer files from one
>computer before reghosting... However; it was done and now I have to
>resolve the issue.
>
>Windows XP Media Center Edition. The files were backed up to a flash
>USB device. The only file created on the flash is called USMT2IMG.DAT.
>
>Error Received:
>"An error occurred while the wizard was loading your data.
>The wizard cannot create the data needed to save your settings. Make
>sure you have enough disk space available.
>
>To close this wizard, click Finish."
>
>With filemon I see a temporary directory being created until the error.
>
>I've found and doenloaded fastconv.exe, but since it was stored on
>removable media every article refers to the Rmv2opq Tool, which cannot
>be found on Microsoft, the OS, or the Internet.
>
>Firstly, does anyone know where to download the Rmv2opq Tool?
>
>Secondly, any suggestions on what has worked for people in the past. I
>know what files I want, so even a manual extraction would be OK.
>
>Thanks in advance.

Something is definitely amiss. FASTW should have created a folder
named USMT2.UNC and 2 files named IMG00001.DAT and STATUS within that
folder.

Are you certain that the USB device was large enough to contain all of
the data files from the Media Center PC? USB drives larger than 2 gb
are uncommon and a Media Center PC could easily have many gigabytes of
data files especially if any music or videos were stored on it.

The file name does imply that it may have some relationship to the
User State Migration Tool which is a modified version of the Files and
Settings Transfer Wizard for corporate use, but I can't find any
reference to the actual file name anywhere at Microsoft and only a few
scattered references using Google.

Was there any other disk drive available when FASTW was accumulating
the data? Search for a folder named usmt2.unc.

Good luck

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
On-Line Help Computer Service

has never been in bed with a mosquito."
From: jeff on
The flash device was 128MB. I've since then transferred the file to a
larger drive. I created a custom transfer, esentially Outlook Express,
My Documents, etc. So the image was only 84Meg. the utility even
mentioned it would fit on a single 100MB drive.

From: jeff on
I've seen the reference to the directory structure you mentioned and
the few google hits about the file that was created in my instance.
There was only the flash drive and local HD available during the
transfer. I've also gathers that there may be many versions of the
FASTW that may or may not be compatible with each other.

I have nothing to compare against since the HD from the "old" computer
has been reimaged.