From: Unknown on
Don't you really mean 'compressed'?

From: Twayne on
IN XP's case, zip = compressed = zipped ... .

A zipped file is compressed, but a compressed file is not necessarily zipped
as there are other methods for compressing file sizes. In the case of XP,
with it compresses, it creates a zipped file.

HTH,

Twayne

From: Tim Slattery on
"Twayne" <nobody(a)spamcop.net> wrote:

>IN XP's case, zip = compressed = zipped ... .
>
>A zipped file is compressed, but a compressed file is not necessarily zipped
>as there are other methods for compressing file sizes. In the case of XP,
>with it compresses, it creates a zipped file.

I don't think so. A file whose name is shown in blue has been
compressed by the OS. This is *not* zip compression, it's something
that the Windows OS does. It's not as drastic as zip, therefore
doesn't take as long to do or to undo.

WinXP also has built-in support for zipping and unzipping files but
it's a totally different thing.

--
Tim Slattery
Slattery_T(a)bls.gov
From: Unknown on
Well said Tim. That was my belief also.

From: joe on
Does the OS do this automatically and if so under what circumstances ?

"Tim Slattery" <Slattery_T(a)bls.gov> wrote in message
> "Twayne" <nobody(a)spamcop.net> wrote:
>
>>IN XP's case, zip = compressed = zipped ... .
>>
>>A zipped file is compressed, but a compressed file is not necessarily
>>zipped
>>as there are other methods for compressing file sizes. In the case of XP,
>>with it compresses, it creates a zipped file.
>
> I don't think so. A file whose name is shown in blue has been
> compressed by the OS. This is *not* zip compression, it's something
> that the Windows OS does. It's not as drastic as zip, therefore
> doesn't take as long to do or to undo.
>
> WinXP also has built-in support for zipping and unzipping files but
> it's a totally different thing.
>
> --
> Tim Slattery
> Slattery_T(a)bls.gov