From: Twayne on
Select a filename in win explorer;
right click it and choose Properties.
Click Advanced in the File Attributes area.
Notice you can set archive bit, compress the file, or encrypt the file
from there.
Click to Compress the file and OK/close your way out.
You might have to close/open explorer once in order to update so you can
see the change, but the filename will have turned to blue text as long as
you haven't turned off the colored display in Options. If instead you
encrypted a file, the filename would have turned green.
Caveat: You can't encrypt a file that has been compressed. I don't know
why but that's the rule.
Also, XP-compressed files are only compressed while on the disk; they are
uncompressed as they are read from the drive, before they get to memory.
With encryption, the only account that can view the files there of course
are the account that created the encryption.

HTH,

Twayne

In news:ukrYJWetKHA.3904(a)TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl,
joe <joe(a)ebox.com> typed:

From: Twayne on
In news:3k0do5ps9qsr9g649jcvnri92ln7d9up2m(a)4ax.com,
Tim Slattery <Slattery_T(a)bls.gov> typed:
> "joe" <joe(a)ebox.com> wrote:
>
>> Does the OS do this automatically and if so under what circumstances
>> ?
>
> You can tell it to compress or not compress files or directories
> (Right-click|Properties|General|Advanced...). And I believe it will
> automatically compress files and folders that are infrequently
> accessed.

No, you can only compress the files/folders in that limb of the tree that
way. To get infrequently used files compressed, use the Options settings so
it applies to all folders on the drive.

HTH,

Twayne

Life is the only real counselor; wisdom unfiltered
through personal experience does not become a
part of the moral tissue.

From: Unknown on
Take a blue colored .ini file. It isn't unzipped. It is opened by Notepad.
Try it.

From: Unknown on
I selected a file. The attribute compress is NOT checked. Yet the file name
is in blue.
I still think you are mistaken. It is not zipped but is compressed.

From: Tim Slattery on
"Unknown" <unknown(a)unknown.kom> wrote:

>Take a blue colored .ini file. It isn't unzipped. It is opened by Notepad.

Try to open a blue colored *.txt file in WinZip. It can't do it
because it's not a zip file.

--
Tim Slattery
Slattery_T(a)bls.gov