From: Unknown on
Suggestion: Do a disk cleanup with the option 'compress old files' checked.
It will then compress old files that you yourself did not personally do.
Widows keeps tract of many facts of files. How do you think (when doing a
backup)
only those files that changed are backed up after the initial backup is
done.? .
"Jose" <jose_ease(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
On Feb 25, 8:45 pm, Bruce Chambers <bchamb...(a)cable0ne.n3t> wrote:
> joe wrote:
> > Does the OS do this automatically and if so under what circumstances ?
>
> By design, WinXP automatically compresses files that do not get used
> frequently, and, if you've left the default settings intact, displays
> those files in blue. If you wish to change this behavior, in Windows
> Explorer, click Tools > Folder Options > View > Advanced settings: Show
> encrypted or compressed NTFS files in color.
>
> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

> Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand
> Russell

> killed a great many philosophers.
> ~ Denis Diderot

I would be curious to know how Windows decides what files I do not use
frequently. To do that, it would seem that it would have to know
something about every file on my system and somehow know when the last
time I used it. How does that work? Does it check all my files/
drives?

I'm not saying it does't, I just would like know how it determines
that and no.. - I have not checked every file on my system for blue
either

I have never seen a blue file on my system that I did not compress
myself for testing and this same XP has been installed for almost 5
years. Maybe it is somehow broken.

From: Bruce Chambers on
Jose wrote:

> I would be curious to know how Windows decides what files I do not use
> frequently. To do that, it would seem that it would have to know
> something about every file on my system and somehow know when the last
> time I used it. How does that work? Does it check all my files/
> drives?

If you were to open Windows Exlporer, right-click on any file and then
select "Properties," you'd see, on the General tab, the dates when the
file was Created, Modified, and/or last Accessed. While I don't know
the specific technical details, nor the specific length of time a file
must remain unused, I believe that the Last Accessed date is used.

> I'm not saying it does't, I just would like know how it determines
> that and no.. - I have not checked every file on my system for blue
> either
>
> I have never seen a blue file on my system that I did not compress
> myself for testing and this same XP has been installed for almost 5
> years. Maybe it is somehow broken.

Or perhaps you turned off the default behavior? That would be easy
enough to check: Windows > Explorer, click Tools > Folder Options >

From: Unknown on
What nerve making a comment such as that! You're ALWAYS emphatic but not
sure. (although you THINK you are)

From: Bill in Co. on
Unknown wrote:
> What nerve making a comment such as that! You're ALWAYS emphatic but not
> sure. (although you THINK you are)

No, he's sure, but he's often misinformed about some issues.

> "Twayne" <nobody(a)spamcop.net> wrote in message
>> In news:6eoao5h110aceg6vu58t7iv4uioro6m9m4(a)4ax.com,
>> Tim Slattery <Slattery_T(a)bls.gov> typed:

>>> I don't think so. A file whose name is shown in blue has been
>>> compressed by the OS. This is *not* zip compression, it's something
>>> that the Windows OS does. It's not as drastic as zip, therefore
>>> doesn't take as long to do or to undo.
>>>
>>> WinXP also has built-in support for zipping and unzipping files but
>>> it's a totally different thing.
>>
>> If you check, you'll find the blue is zipped/compressed files and green
>> is
>> encrypted files. You can set/adjust these from the Properties menu for
>> each file you right click Properties and choose Advanced for.
>> Try it and see; You'll find that: Blue *IS* zip compression for XP NTFS
>> drives. Compress or encrypt a file and see what color it changes to.
>> The
>> color indicator can also be turned off so they all display in black is so
>> desired.
>>
>> In the future, please be more sure of your responses before becoming
>> emphatic.
>>
>> HTH,
>>
>> Twayne

LOL. What a joke, this coming from you!