From: Justin on
On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 04:27:59 +1000, Rod Speed wrote:

> mscotgrove(a)aol.com wrote
> That's true of any electronic format.
>
> The only real alternative is a non electronic format and has some real
> downsides of its own with videos and audio files.

I have done some research and discussed this issue with my old boss from
college.
Back in 2005, we came across some old, old IBM PC Jrs with 5 or so MB
hard drives. We were able to read the data off them with no problems.
The drives were dates 1981 to 1983.
Right now I'm thinking ext2 - the drive will be labeled on the outside
with the type of filesystem.
If anything it should give computer science students in 100 years a good
exercise in data recovery.
From: Rod Speed on
Justin wrote:
> Rod Speed wrote

>> That's true of any electronic format.

>> The only real alternative is a non electronic format and has
>> some real downsides of its own with videos and audio files.

> I have done some research and discussed this issue with my old boss from college.

> Back in 2005, we came across some old, old IBM PC Jrs with 5 or so MB
> hard drives. We were able to read the data off them with no problems.
> The drives were dates 1981 to 1983.

It wouldnt have been that easy with some older drives.

> Right now I'm thinking ext2

Makes more sense to have more than one, say FAT32 and ext2.

> - the drive will be labeled on the outside with the type of filesystem.

> If anything it should give computer science students in 100 years a good exercise in data recovery.

There should still be the equivalent of wikipedia etc around.

From: mscotgrove on
On Jul 18, 4:02 am, "Rod Speed" <rod.speed....(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Justin wrote:
> > I have done some research and discussed this issue with my old boss from college.
> > Back in 2005, we came across some old, old IBM PC Jrs with 5 or so MB
> > hard drives.  We were able to read the data off them with no problems..
> > The drives were dates 1981 to 1983.

Did you read these drives in the IBM PC, or did you find an interface
to read them on a current PC?

One solution may be to put a complete memory and reader in your time
capsule. All you will need then is a clear indicator of what voltage
should be applied where. I will personally you drink if if 5V, or 9
volts can not be found somewhere, this is asssuming my credit card
still works.

Michael
From: Justin on
On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 04:22:21 -0700, mscotgrove(a)aol.com wrote:

> On Jul 18, 4:02 am, "Rod Speed" <rod.speed....(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> Justin wrote:
>> > I have done some research and discussed this issue with my old boss
>> > from college. Back in 2005, we came across some old, old IBM PC Jrs
>> > with 5 or so MB hard drives.  We were able to read the data off them
>> > with no problems. The drives were dates 1981 to 1983.
>>
> Did you read these drives in the IBM PC, or did you find an interface to
> read them on a current PC?
>
> One solution may be to put a complete memory and reader in your time
> capsule. All you will need then is a clear indicator of what voltage
> should be applied where. I will personally you drink if if 5V, or 9
> volts can not be found somewhere, this is asssuming my credit card still
> works.
>
> Michael

I'm not sure how he did it. When I was there he booted the PCs and used
a serial connection to transfer the files off. Apparently students back
in the early 1980's saved their work on the hard drives of those PCs even
though they weren't supposed to. It was interesting reading papers dates
1983.
I know they contacted a few of the writers via the alumni association and
printed an article in the college newspaper about it.
From: mscotgrove on
On Jul 18, 9:39 pm, Justin <jus...(a)nobecauseihatespam.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 04:22:21 -0700, mscotgr...(a)aol.com wrote:
>
> > Did you read these drives in the IBM PC, or did you find an interface to
> > read them on a current PC?
>
> > One solution may be to put a complete memory and reader in your time
> > capsule.  All you will need then is a clear indicator of what voltage
> > should be applied where.  I will personally you drink if if 5V, or  9
> > volts can not be found somewhere, this is asssuming my credit card still
> > works.
>
> > Michael
>
> I'm not sure how he did it.  When I was there he booted the PCs and used
> a serial connection to transfer the files off.  Apparently students back
> in the early 1980's saved their work on the hard drives of those PCs even
> though they weren't supposed to.  It was interesting reading papers dates
> 1983.
> I know they contacted a few of the writers via the alumni association and
> printed an article in the college newspaper about it.- Hide quoted text -

So you used the original hardware, and not just the hard drive as an
external device.

Michael
www.cnwrecovery.com