From: LiAD on
Hi,

I am looking for a formula that can act as a filter.

In sheet AA I have a table with headings products, date, diameter etc
starting from col A.

I would like in sheet BB to be able just to see data corresponding to a
certain product, call it Cars. The user enters Cars in B2 sheet BB and the
formula fills in the table in sheet BB with only the data for Cars from sheet
AA.

Is this possible without code?

Thanks
From: Eduardo on
Hi,
I assume sheet BB has the same structure than sheet AA so in B2 enter

=index(AA!$B$1:$B$10000,match(A2,AA!$A$1:$A$10000,0))

From: Glenn on
LiAD wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am looking for a formula that can act as a filter.
>
> In sheet AA I have a table with headings products, date, diameter etc
> starting from col A.
>
> I would like in sheet BB to be able just to see data corresponding to a
> certain product, call it Cars. The user enters Cars in B2 sheet BB and the
> formula fills in the table in sheet BB with only the data for Cars from sheet
> AA.
>
> Is this possible without code?
>
> Thanks

Assuming that you have headings on sheet BB from B3 across to match the headings
on sheet AA, put the following array formula (commit with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER) in
A4 on sheet BB:

=SMALL(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH($B$2,AA!$A$2:$A$1000)),
ROW(AA!$A$2:$A$1000),""),ROW(1:1))

Now put this "normal" formula in B4 and copy down and across as needed:

=IF(ISNUMBER($A4),INDEX(AA!A$1:A$8,$A4),"")

You can hide column A in sheet BB.
From: Pete_UK on
Yes, it is possible.

In a spare column in sheet AA (eg column M) put this formula on row 2:

=IF(A2="","",A2&"_"&COUNTIF(A$2:A2,A2))

and copy this down as far as you like (even beyond your data). I'm
assuming that your products are listed in column A, so adjust if
necessary.

Then in M3 of sheet BB you can have this formula:

=IF(B$2="","",IF(ISNA(MATCH(B$2&"_"&ROW(A1),'AA'!M:M,0)),"",MATCH(B
$2&"_"&ROW(A1),'AA'!M:M,0)))

and again copy this down as far as you might need it (it will show
blanks beyond where you have matching data, so it doesn't matter how
far you take it).

Then in A3 of sheet BB you can have this formula:

=IF($M3="","",INDEX('BB'!A:A,$M3))

Then you can copy this across for as many columns as you have, and
then format the cells containing dates appropriately. Then copy these
formulae from row 3 down as far as you need (or beyond).

Now, just change the entry in B2 and the display will change just like
a filter.

Hope this helps.

Pete

From: Glenn on
Glenn wrote:
> LiAD wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am looking for a formula that can act as a filter.
>>
>> In sheet AA I have a table with headings products, date, diameter etc
>> starting from col A.
>>
>> I would like in sheet BB to be able just to see data corresponding to
>> a certain product, call it Cars. The user enters Cars in B2 sheet BB
>> and the formula fills in the table in sheet BB with only the data for
>> Cars from sheet AA.
>>
>> Is this possible without code?
>>
>> Thanks
>

> Assuming that you have headings on sheet BB from B3 across to match the
> headings on sheet AA, put the following array formula (commit with
> CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER) in A4 on sheet BB:
>
> =SMALL(IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH($B$2,AA!$A$2:$A$1000)),
> ROW(AA!$A$2:$A$1000),""),ROW(1:1))
>
> Now put this "normal" formula in B4 and copy down and across as needed:
>
> =IF(ISNUMBER($A4),INDEX(AA!A$1:A$8,$A4),"")
>
> You can hide column A in sheet BB.

Forgot to mention that you need to fill A4 down as well.