From: Bruce2u2 on
Karl,

Congratulations on solving this problem thirteen years after I posed
it. I tried to read through some of your code, but it just makes my
eyes cross. I don't have VB on my machine, so that makes it even
harder to follow, but the EXE ran and demonstrated that you had indeed
brought up the dialog and that Tab and Enter worked.I'm not sure that
your reason for doing it was justified, but if you had fun, that's all
that counts. As far as Find and Replace go, I still think the solution
I presented in the book (a custom form) is better than the standard
dialog for most situations for the reasons I presented. But I'm glad
you solved the problem and I hope you didn't waste as much time on
your success as I did on my failure.

Bruce

From: Kevin Provance on
"Bruce2u2" <bruce2u2(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
: Karl,
:
: Congratulations on solving this problem thirteen years after I posed
: it. I tried to read through some of your code, but it just makes my
: eyes cross. I don't have VB on my machine, so that makes it even
: harder to follow, but the EXE ran and demonstrated that you had indeed
: brought up the dialog and that Tab and Enter worked.I'm not sure that
: your reason for doing it was justified, but if you had fun, that's all
: that counts. As far as Find and Replace go, I still think the solution
: I presented in the book (a custom form) is better than the standard
: dialog for most situations for the reasons I presented. But I'm glad
: you solved the problem and I hope you didn't waste as much time on
: your success as I did on my failure.
:
: Bruce

<MILDHEROWORSHIP>

Wow, Bruce McKinney stopped by. Wicked cool! I loved your book and the CD
that came with, learned a *lot*. Thank you for your efforts.

</MILDHEROWORSHIP>

I was researching some of this for Karl, and dicovered the problem of
searching for case and whole word is solved with the EM_FINDTEXT in which
FR_MATCHCASE and FR_WHOLEWORD are entered in the wParam. If the string
target is found, the ret val is the zero-based position of the first
character of the first instance found. The caveat, it's gotta be a RTB,
apparently. If it also works for the standard text box, the docs did not
say.

Am going to play with this within Karl's example and see what happens!

Peace!

- Kev

From: Kevin Provance on
"Leo" <ttdhead(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
:
: I think it would be nice to still have it work with a textbox as thats
: what my app currently uses, but I may convert it to a RTB if I can work
: out issues.

I'mm going to check my API solution with a regular textbox anyway and see
what happens. Will post something when I know something. :-)

- Kev

--
Customer Hatred Knows No Bounds at MSFT

Bawwk! Paulie want a dingleball, bawwk!

From: Kevin Provance on
"Leo" <ttdhead(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
:
: I think it would be nice to still have it work with a textbox as thats
: what my app currently uses, but I may convert it to a RTB if I can work
: out issues.

Good news and bad news.

The good news is the search and seek of text within a RTB can be done with a
few lines of code, using API.

Bad news, this will not work on a regular text box with the API solution.
Will see if I can come up with something similar.

In the meantime (tomorrow) I'm going to send Karl a copy of his code with
the RTB replacement and the API and see if it's of any use to him.

- Kev

From: Larry Serflaten on

"Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote

> > I've looked at both methods, and not tried either of them (yet), but from a
> > first glance perspective, how is your method any less 'bizarre'?
>
> Well, for the most obvious thing, the KB sample won't do any
> accelerator key handling (Tab, Enter, Escape, arrows, etc.). Obvious
> to me, at any rate, because that was kind of a bear to work out.
> Theirs won't even trigger when you press the spacebar and the command
> button has focus.

<... snipped for brievity ...>

> They never unhook the subclass, either. Hmmm... Sloppy.

<...>

> Yes, they *do* manage to pop the dialog without a GPF. I guess that's
> something. <g> But it's pretty darn far from functional.

Thanks for the point by point analysis. You've covered several things
I very probably would have overlooked.

LFS