From: John DoH on
In article
<1jn62bk.tc9cij1pmet3nN%real-address-in-sig(a)flur.bltigibbet.invalid>,
real-address-in-sig(a)flur.bltigibbet.invalid (Rowland McDonnell) wrote:

> Woody <usenet(a)alienrat.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > Rowland McDonnell wrote:
> > > Woody<usenet(a)alienrat.co.uk> wrote:
> [snip]

> > > I know about that. What I don't know is how to interpret the contents
> > > of the list. How is it parsed by the machine?
> >
> > OK, sorry, I don't understand what you need to know here, so I dont know
> > if I can really help. I am really not sure what you mean by parsed in
> > this context. As I said it is just a label, so there is no real parsing
> > to be done.
>
> SO you say - so tell me how to read the label, then. What the hell does
> it mean, an entry in a MIME type table? How are they used?
>
> > OK, for some types, you could look at the text before the '/', ie, for
> > 'image/jp2' you would take the 'image' part and use that as a fallback
> > in case 'image/jp2' doesn't come up with anything, but there is no
> > actual parsing to be done.
>
> What do you mean?
>
> > The label could just as easily by 'owiejfow234moij##' or 'kipper' - it
> > is just a piece of text which is used as an index value.
>
> How is it so used?
>
> > the code looking at it will go down the list, looking for a match (for
> > 'image/jp2' or 'kipper' or whatever you want to call it), until it finds
> > one.
>
> Looking for a match with what, and what makes the code do this in the
> first place?
>
> > If it finds one, the entry at that index location is the path to a chunk
> > of code which will be run to process that file.
>
> Huh?

> > > Yes, okay, but how are MIME types parsed?
> > >
> > > You clearly know so you don't see any need to explain. But I don't, so
> > > I can't interpret MIME types at all.
> >
> > Its not that I don't see a need to explain, I am happy to explain, if
> > you could let me know what it is that you don't understand.
>
> I understand precisely nothing at the moment.
>
> I'd like to understand how MIME types are used. I don't understand them
> *at all* at the moment.

You don't need to understand, you are far too stupid to understand
something so simple.

--
"Telling someone to kill themselves is not harmful: it's merely me
expressing an opinion. You try to drive people to suicide - that's evil.
From: Mark Bestley on
Rowland McDonnell <real-address-in-sig(a)flur.bltigibbet.invalid> wrote:

> Woody <usenet(a)alienrat.co.uk> wrote:
>

> I understand precisely nothing at the moment.
>
> I'd like to understand how MIME types are used. I don't understand them
> *at all* at the moment.

They are sort of the same thing as Apple file types except used to
define parts of orifinally email and then later other internet objects.

--
Mark