From: Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP] on
The Calyptix Access Enforcer with all UTM with a recommendation for up to 10 users (however there are no cal's counted so you can connect as many as you wish until you see a performance issue) is 999.00 another 259.00 for a 3 year hardware warranty. Each year you would pay around 400.00 for renewing UTM definition updates etc.

It is not, AFAIK, available outside the US yet though

--
Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP] (since 1997)
Co-Contributor, Windows Small Business Server 2008 Unleashed

"Leythos" <spam999free(a)rrohio.com> wrote in message news:MPG.26b2536178afa8e89896d7(a)us.news.astraweb.com...
In article <e2vg461ma5l23mru9bu14krtdjkcanktsc(a)4ax.com>, Bilbo says...
> Running SBS 2003 SP2 but am considering "upgrade" to SBS 2008.
> But SBS 2008 networks seem to be single-NIC networks thus exposing
> all the SBS clients to the WAN interface.
>
> This argues that some kind of firewall appliance is needed. For small
> LANs (<10 clients) the cost of such an appliance can be a
> deal-breaker.
>
> Does anyone have recommendations about such appliances for small LANs?
> Do they require subscriptions?
> Do they require CAL-type licensing?
>
> I've spent quite a bit of time looking into this and haven't wound up
> knowing anything more than when I started. I need to understand real
> operating costs of these devices.
>
> All I'm seeing out there is a bunch of marketing slime.

I never install SBS, any version, without a firewall appliance, and I
don't mean one of those crappy NAT routers that pretends to be a
firewall.

Today, unlike 10 years ago, firewall appliances do so much more than
just detect attacks or filter, they often come with anti-spam, anti-
malware, content blocking, web filters, etc....

A reasonable firewall for a small company, that is hosting their own
email, will run about $1400, but a dirt cheap one would cost about $550
with the filtering services.

I buy WatchGuard because I've used about everything on the market and
they just seem to have it going right all these years. I have more than
80 different WG appliances in the field and a few of them are 7+ years
old and still working (although unsupported, end of lifed).

Trust yourself.
From: Colin on
Hi Bilbo,

Leythos convinced me to try Watchguard products 3 - 4 years ago and now I
wouldn't use anything else. The granularity offered by these units is
fantastic and so easy to configure. With a full UTM Security Suite
(subscription based, price depending on model), you can block malware and
spam at the firewall which alone is worth the investment.

Colin.

From: Leythos on
In article <794459EF-9F49-46D1-95C4-1DABED3578A7(a)microsoft.com>,
Colin(a)discussions.microsoft.com says...
> Leythos convinced me to try Watchguard products 3 - 4 years ago and now I
> wouldn't use anything else.

Thanks - and just think, I even provide free support via Usenet or email
:-)

Trust yourself.
From: Andrew Hodgson on
On Thu, 22 Jul 2010 16:19:41 -0500, "Cris Hanna [SBS - MVP]"
<crisnospamhanna(a)cpunospamservices.net> wrote:

>The Calyptix Access Enforcer with all UTM with a recommendation for up to 10 users (however there are no cal's counted so you can connect as many as you wish until you see a performance issue) is 999.00 another 259.00 for a 3 year hardware warranty. Each year you would pay around 400.00 for renewing UTM definition updates etc.
>
>It is not, AFAIK, available outside the US yet though

Yes, still not available outside the US which is a real shame.

Andrew.
From: Bilbo wlp faux>fake on
Thanks to all who replied. You've given me some food for thought.
I think I'll have to pilot some of these on my own server before doing
it for/to any of my clients.

Bilbo

--
BilBo