From: AMR on
On Nov 5, 10:06 am, Leythos <v...(a)nowhere.lan> wrote:
> In article <1194277996.135676.233...(a)22g2000hsm.googlegroups.com>,
> sirus.co...(a)gmail.com says...
>

> > On Nov 4, 12:04 am, "LTKave...(a)gmail.com" <LTKave...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Good day. I'm starting a network consisting of 50 PCs through a
> > > satellite connection. I need a dedicated firewall which will be able
> > > to accomplish the following:
>
> > > -MAC Filtering for hardlined machines (the wireless router can handle
> > > MAC filtering for wireless)
> > > -Badwidth limits per MAC address for a specific time period
> > > -Logs of all traffic
> > > -Log specifically for bandwidth
> > > -Blocking of some P2P processes, but not all (don't allow gaming but
> > > do allow skype, etc)
> > > -DHCP
> > > -Normal DoS protection, etc
> > > -VPN is not important to us
>
> > > Any advice? I'm finding tons of equipment out there, but I'm hoping to
> > > spend less than $200. I've seen ZyXEL ZyWALL 2 Plus, which looks good,
> > > but I'm not 100% convinced.
>
> > > Thanks for your help.
>
> > Less than $200 per seat or less than $200 TOTAL for the entire
> > firewall solution??
>
> If it's less than $200 then it's not a firewall.
>
> --
>
> Leythos
> - Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum.
> - Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a
> drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"
> spam999f...(a)rrohio.com (remove 999 for proper email address)

that's a ridiculous statement

From: joshobrien77 on
Responding to the original Question the Juniper SSG 5 (Netscreen) is a
great choice for what you are wanting to do. It gives you Wireless
with multiple SSIDs, IDS/IPS, client filtering, spam and virus
filtering as well as IPSEC VPN termination.

It is going to cost you more than $200 but it is quite a bit cheaper
than offerings from Cisco.

The other you you could consider is going with a product you could
build from someplace like routerboard.com or on a software platform
such as any linux distro and use IPTABLES. Moonwall would be
something you would want to research of you were going to go the linux
route.

Hope this helps.

Josh
http://www.staticnat.com