From: Luis Ortega on
My Zone Alarm Pro firewall subscription expires in a few days and I recently
bought a Norton Internet Security 2008 package that contains a firewall.
I currently have the Norton firewall turned off and just use the Zone Alarm
Pro firewall.
I don't use the Win XP firewall because I heard that it's not a good idea to
have several firewall on at the same time.
We get internet through a Belkin pre-N wireless router that is supposed to
have some sort of firewall built in and that one is turned on.
My computer connects to the router with an ethernet cable and my son's
computer uses a Belkin N usb wireless adapter. They both have the same
current setup I describe regarding firewalls.
Can anyone please advise on whether the Zone Alarm Pro firewall is any
better than the Norton firewall in my situation?
Should I renew the Zone Alarm Pro subscription or uninstall it when it
expires and turn on the Norton firewall?
Thanks for any advice.

From: John on
Luis Ortega wrote:
> My Zone Alarm Pro firewall subscription expires in a few days and I recently
> bought a Norton Internet Security 2008 package that contains a firewall.
> I currently have the Norton firewall turned off and just use the Zone Alarm
> Pro firewall.
> I don't use the Win XP firewall because I heard that it's not a good idea to
> have several firewall on at the same time.
> We get internet through a Belkin pre-N wireless router that is supposed to
> have some sort of firewall built in and that one is turned on.
> My computer connects to the router with an ethernet cable and my son's
> computer uses a Belkin N usb wireless adapter. They both have the same
> current setup I describe regarding firewalls.
> Can anyone please advise on whether the Zone Alarm Pro firewall is any
> better than the Norton firewall in my situation?
> Should I renew the Zone Alarm Pro subscription or uninstall it when it
> expires and turn on the Norton firewall?
> Thanks for any advice.

Good luck if you should decide to try and uninstall Norton.

John.
From: Luis Ortega on
You don't understand.
I'm not trying to uninstall Norton, I'm wondering whether to renew the Zone
alarm if Norton already comes with a firewall. I'm interested to know which
might be the better firewall.
Does anyone have any relevant advice on this?

From: badgolferman on
Luis Ortega, 11/24/2007,6:31:59 AM, wrote:

> My Zone Alarm Pro firewall subscription expires in a few days and I
> recently bought a Norton Internet Security 2008 package that contains
> a firewall. I currently have the Norton firewall turned off and just
> use the Zone Alarm Pro firewall. I don't use the Win XP firewall
> because I heard that it's not a good idea to have several firewall on
> at the same time. We get internet through a Belkin pre-N wireless
> router that is supposed to have some sort of firewall built in and
> that one is turned on. My computer connects to the router with an
> ethernet cable and my son's computer uses a Belkin N usb wireless
> adapter. They both have the same current setup I describe regarding
> firewalls. Can anyone please advise on whether the Zone Alarm Pro
> firewall is any better than the Norton firewall in my situation?
> Should I renew the Zone Alarm Pro subscription or uninstall it when
> it expires and turn on the Norton firewall? Thanks for any advice.

A couple of years ago Norton took over one of the smaller firewall
software companies and integrated it into their own product. The name
escapes me at this time. I am sure either will be adequate for your
peace of mind, but not necessarily in reality. If you are comfortable
with ZA then upgrade your subscription. If you have already paid for
the NIS then you will be wasting your money, but that is your decision.

You are probably getting more protection from your NAT-enabled router
than from either one of those products. But then again I am no expert
so do what seems right to you.
From: bojimbo26 on
On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 11:31:59 GMT, "Luis Ortega" <lortega(a)ntlworld.com>
wrote:

>My Zone Alarm Pro firewall subscription expires in a few days and I recently
>bought a Norton Internet Security 2008 package that contains a firewall.
>I currently have the Norton firewall turned off and just use the Zone Alarm
>Pro firewall.
>I don't use the Win XP firewall because I heard that it's not a good idea to
>have several firewall on at the same time.
>We get internet through a Belkin pre-N wireless router that is supposed to
>have some sort of firewall built in and that one is turned on.
>My computer connects to the router with an ethernet cable and my son's
>computer uses a Belkin N usb wireless adapter. They both have the same
>current setup I describe regarding firewalls.
>Can anyone please advise on whether the Zone Alarm Pro firewall is any
>better than the Norton firewall in my situation?
>Should I renew the Zone Alarm Pro subscription or uninstall it when it
>expires and turn on the Norton firewall?
>Thanks for any advice.

Many a computer * screwup * is caused by Norton .