From: Poprivet` on
Luis Ortega wrote:
> "Gerald Vogt" <vogt(a)spamcop.net> wrote in message
>> The amount of personal insults and the lack of argument in your post
>> makes me thinking your lack a few interpersonal skills and some
>> experience.
>>
>>> Thanks for the entertainment; I needed the break. But I meant what
>>> I said
>>> here; you really aren't ready to respond to questions on newsgroups.
>>> Quit
>>> being a parrot and face reality; only then will you actually
>>> understand the
>>> pros and cons of what you've been attempting to make others think
>>> you know.
>>
>> You are the parrot here. You just write what everybody else repeats
>> all the timing withing thinking.
>>
>> Face reality. It is possible without AV and with PFW.
>>
>> Gerald
>
> Please, there is no need for you guys to get into a flame war over my
> post. I understand that you are trying to be helpful, but I have to
> disagree with you on the points that you have to reinstall windows to
> uninstall security software or that running a windows system without
> av or pfw is a good idea. I appreciate all the advice and thank
> everyone for their help.

No flame war intended, Luis. I've apologized and responded to him that if
he wishes to debate amicably that's fine with me. I was off target and
admit it. See my response if you're curious. We all have those "bad"
days I guess.

Regards,

Pop`

From: Volker Birk on
Luis Ortega <lortega(a)ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Can anyone please advise on whether the Zone Alarm Pro firewall is any
> better than the Norton firewall in my situation?

They both exactly have the same type of "quality" - the runs.

Yours,
VB.
--
The file name of an indirect node file is the string "iNode" immediately
followed by the link reference converted to decimal text, with no leading
From: Poprivet` on
ChronJob wrote:
> "Luis Ortega" <lortega(a)ntlworld.com> wrote in
>
>> Thanks. My understanding of router firewalls is that they only block
>> incoming traffic and if there is some malware on the system then
>> outgoing stuff is not blocked. Is that correct?
>>

> If you've got malware on your system you're already done, cooked,
> finished, hacked, and compomised. The ONLY serious remedy at that
> point is to flatten your system and rebuild it.

There are very few good reasons to "rebuild" a system. Much better to start
with AV and an arsenal of spyware tools to clean things up as much as
possible. Results might be faster obtained, too.
OTOH it's not "wrong" to rebuild/reinstall, just very seldom necessary.
The best solution is to be prepared with images of the system stored away
and updated automatically. Then it's a minor detail to put the system back
to pre-malware state with a few key clicks.

From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers on
In comp.security.firewalls Poprivet` <poprivet(a)devnull.spamcop.net> wrote:
> ChronJob wrote:
>> "Luis Ortega" <lortega(a)ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>> Thanks. My understanding of router firewalls is that they only block
>>> incoming traffic and if there is some malware on the system then
>>> outgoing stuff is not blocked. Is that correct?
>>
>> If you've got malware on your system you're already done, cooked,
>> finished, hacked, and compomised. The ONLY serious remedy at that
>> point is to flatten your system and rebuild it.
>
> There are very few good reasons to "rebuild" a system. Much better to
> start with AV and an arsenal of spyware tools to clean things up as
> much as possible. Results might be faster obtained, too.

Nonsense. Once a system got compromised there are virtually no reasons
*not* to flatten and rebuild the system.

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/archive/community/columns/security/essays/10imlaws.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/secmgmt/sm0504.mspx

cu
59cobalt
--Mark Russinovich
From: Helge Olav Helgesen on
Hello Ansgar,

> Nonsense. Once a system got compromised there are virtually no reasons
> *not* to flatten and rebuild the system.

I totally agree. You don't know what else have hitted your system. Do not
trust A/V to find everytings.

I had a case about a year ago with Trend OfficeScan - it did not detect a
worm that had compromised a system. When we asked support the reply was that
OfficeScan only detects viruses, not worms...

Doh
---
Helge Olav Helgesen
http://www.helge.net