From: Ansgar -59cobalt- Wiechers on
In comp.security.firewalls Kayman <kaymanNoSpam(a)operamail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 06:43:39 GMT, HEMI-Powered wrote:
>> Kayman added these comments in the current discussion du jour
>>> "People think that putting one AV engine after another is somehow
>>> defense in depth. They think that if one engine doesn't catch the
>>> worm, the other will catch it," he said. "You haven't decreased your
>>> attack surface; you've increased it because every AV engine has
>>> bugs"
>>
>> I don't think anyone thinks that having more than one true AV utility
>> running at a time is a good idea. But, what I listed running all the
>> time, eTrust Pest Patrol, commercial Zone Alarm, and NAV 2006 are all
>> intended to do different things in different ways. And, running
>> Ad-Aware and Spy Bot Search & Destroy as separate utilities
>> periodically do yet another security-related purpose. So, I see no
>> conflicts here.
>
> Conflict(s) is/are not the issue; The OS may appear working smoothly.
> But installing anti-whatever applications has made your OS more
> vulnerable to attacks.

Not true. Conflicts between two on-access scanners are a very real issue
and are indeed the main argument against installing concurring scanners.
Also, installing applications does not necessarily make an OS more
vulnerable. The OS only becomes more vulnerable if some application has
an exploitable bug. Of course installing additional software does
increase the chance of that happening, but it doesn't automagically make
the OS (more) vulnerable.

For example: you can easily run two or more on-demand virus scanners
without a single problem, because they're running as simple userspace
applications (and thus won't affect each other), and only run with the
privileges of the user initiating the scan.

However, that doesn't mean that it'd be okay to install arbitrary AV
software, because several of them have issues aside from what I
mentioned above.

cu
59cobalt
--Mark Russinovich
From: RalfG on
It doesn't need to be a virus. I did encounter that one time when accessing
a web page unexpectedly triggered OE and the firewall blocked it. A
firewall may have the ability to block -any- application from sending email
without explicit approval. Monitoring outbound traffic also entails
differentiating the legitimate processes from suspicious ones or spoofs. All
firewalls are not equal, but if the firewall is doing the job well it's not
enough for a process to pretend to be "iexplore.exe" in order to pass the
firewall, it has to be c:\program files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe, with
additional identifying information, be it a specific version number, CRC
etc. etc..

Viruses aren't smart, they're all constrained to operating within specific
program parameters. Some are more cleverly written than others but the vast
majority have already been beaten.

Anyway this thread seems to be missing the point. It's analagous to saying
that we shouldn't bother using crosswalks or crossing at the lights because
it is always possible that some idiot driver might ignore the signals and
run us down anyway. One side (anti-security) says avoid the problem by never
crossing a street, the other side (pro-security) says use due caution and
cross with the lights. I use a firewall mainly to keep unauthorised -people-
out of my PC, AV and AS software to keep out or kill malicious software.

From: Unknown on
I use absolutely no virus programs whatsoever, have never had a virus or
malware. Can you tell me why?

From: Unknown on
The interesting thing is that you probably wouldn't have any problems even
without
AVG, A-Squared, Spybot and Comodo.

From: Poprivet` on
HEMI-Powered wrote:
> Kayman added these comments in the current discussion du jour
>
>> On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 02:53:36 GMT, HEMI-Powered wrote:
>
> Interesting. What there's a "death" of, IMO, is people who're
> aware enough to pay attention to safe computing and have at least
> a modicum of defenses against the bad guys. The popular malware
> utilities will catch the vast majority of common threats but if
> one's PC is attacked by a sophisticated enough hacker or
> whatever, it is doubtful that any software will catch it.

Actually I think it's more akin to birth than death. The major problems are
most always for the newbies who haven't yet been educated, have been
mis-educated, or simply kept in the background by people purposely talking
over their heads when they do try to learn.

Pop`