From: Gerry on
Ken

Are you using System Restore? Have you ever noticed any outbound traffic
being stopped by Zone Alarm? Does Zone alarm stop malware phoning home?

--
Regards.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

From: Ken Blake, MVP on
On Sat, 24 Nov 2007 18:24:44 -0000, "Gerry" <gerry(a)nospam.com> wrote:

> Ken
>
> Are you using System Restore?

It's on. I've restored from it a couple of times, on my XP machines,
where ZA is running.. I've never had a problem or conflict between it
and ZA.

> Have you ever noticed any outbound traffic
> being stopped by Zone Alarm?

Not that I remember.

> Does Zone alarm stop malware phoning home?

That's the theory. Some dispute it. I can't say from my own
experience, since I've never had any malware installed here.

From: John on
Luis Ortega wrote:
> My Zone Alarm Pro firewall subscription expires in a few days and I recently
> bought a Norton Internet Security 2008 package that contains a firewall.
> I currently have the Norton firewall turned off and just use the Zone Alarm
> Pro firewall.
> I don't use the Win XP firewall because I heard that it's not a good idea to
> have several firewall on at the same time.
> We get internet through a Belkin pre-N wireless router that is supposed to
> have some sort of firewall built in and that one is turned on.
> My computer connects to the router with an ethernet cable and my son's
> computer uses a Belkin N usb wireless adapter. They both have the same
> current setup I describe regarding firewalls.
> Can anyone please advise on whether the Zone Alarm Pro firewall is any
> better than the Norton firewall in my situation?
> Should I renew the Zone Alarm Pro subscription or uninstall it when it
> expires and turn on the Norton firewall?
> Thanks for any advice.

Alt.comp.anti-virus or alt.comp.virus are better places to ask your
question. Many of the people in those two groups are unusually
knowledgeable about this subject. I will forewarn you however that (the
last time I was there at least) Norton home use products were not at the
top of their recommended lists.

John
From: Gerald Vogt on
On Nov 24, 8:31 pm, "Luis Ortega" <lort...(a)ntlworld.com> wrote:
> My Zone Alarm Pro firewall subscription expires in a few days and I recently
> bought a Norton Internet Security 2008 package that contains a firewall.
> I currently have the Norton firewall turned off and just use the Zone Alarm
> Pro firewall.
> I don't use the Win XP firewall because I heard that it's not a good idea to
> have several firewall on at the same time.

It is actually also a bad idea to install more then one software
firewall on a computer. The software firewall to do its "job" deeply
integrates/messes with the Windows system. In general, the only way to
get properly rid of an installed (single) software firewall on a
Windows system is to reinstall the system. Otherwise you may see all
kinds of issues after the uninstallation plus usually not everything
is gone after the standard deinstallation from the software wizard.
That's why you have to download additional tools from Symantec or
others only to get rid of the rest.

Now make the math: you have already installed two firewalls on your
computer. (The Windows XP firewall is part of the OS that's why it
does not cause issues here). Twice you have messed up the system with
an installation of a software firewall. Both try to hook into the
system to do their job and to make them fixed into the system so that
other malware does not accidentally removes the firewall software.

It is even now impossible to say whether any of those two firewalls
operates correctly if turned on. Norton may well have removed some of
the hooks which ZoneAlarm installed which ZoneAlarm did not notice. Or
well, maybe ZoneAlarm noticed some of those changes and reverted them
back removing Norton hooks...

Honestly, I would recommend to reinstall Windows from scratch and
learn a little about computer security and how to keep your computer
secure by what you DO instead of what you INSTALL. It is not so
complicated and still human beings are more intelligent than some
piece of software. It is possible to run a computer without any
firewall running and without getting infected with malware. But
obviously, this last statement does not sell good that's why you find
a lot of opposite (well sponsored) statements.

At the current stage I doubt you will be able to get any of those
firewalls removed from your system without damage to the system...

Gerald
From: Gerald Vogt on
On Nov 25, 12:49 am, "Luis Ortega" <lort...(a)ntlworld.com> wrote:
> Thanks. My understanding of router firewalls is that they only block
> incoming traffic and if there is some malware on the system then outgoing
> stuff is not blocked. Is that correct?

Correct. But software firewalls only detect outgoing traffic if the
malware is so nice/dumb to be detected. And even if it is detected and
something is blocked it does not mean it does not send anything out
because there are various ways to send something out even with a
firewall installed (through your browser, through DNS, etc. all things
you use and need to browse the internet for instance.)

It would be more effective for your overall security if you have
learned how to prevent malware on your computer in the first place.
And this mostly depends on what you do and not with some security
software you install.

Gerald