From: Ron Hardin on
Tom Cole wrote:

> On Sat, 01 May 2010 16:29:13 -0400, Ron Hardin
> <rhhardin(a)mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> >David Harper wrote:
> >>
> >> "Ron Hardin" <rhhardin(a)mindspring.com> wrote in message

> >> Click on "My Computer". Then highlight your USB drive. The right-click and
> >> select "Format". Select NTFS.
> >>
> >> - David Harper
> >
> >Thanks. I'd heard it was in XP Pro somewhere.
> >
> >Unfortunately the only format option it gives is for FAT32.
> >
> >I wonder if it's something about the kind of device.
>
> Flash drives prefer to stay as FAT32. However you can convert it to
> NTFS by using the 'convert' utility (run 'convert /?' in a DOS box for
> the options).

Thanks, that worked.

I wonder why it was resisting it.
--
rhhardin(a)mindspring.com

From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> Partition Magic on my old Inspiron 1200 doesn't recognize my
> new on-sale 16gb Kingston USB flash drive, which comes with
> a FAT32 filesystem.

Every tool you need is built into Windows. On XP, use Computer
Management > Disk Managment. Delete the existing partition, make a new
one and there you go. Choose NTFS as the file system while working
through the wizard.

Keep in mind that using NTFS severely reduces the portability of your
flash drive. Many operating systems will at least read NTFS, but only
fairly recent ones are "confident" enough to write it as well. Of
course, it can employ FUSE (file system in userspace) on a given
system, that will solve the problem as it can accept an NTFS module
that happily reads and writes to NTFS.

William