From: Ron Hardin on
Partition Magic on my old Inspiron 1200 doesn't recognize my new
on-sale 16gb Kingston USB flash drive, which comes with a FAT32
filesystem.

I'd like NTFS so that the file permissions and dates aren't clobbered.

Is there something that changes it to NTFS? Or is it for some reason
not possible.

I have an XP Pro laptop also, in case XP Pro maybe can do it somewhere.
--
rhhardin(a)mindspring.com

From: David Harper on

"Ron Hardin" <rhhardin(a)mindspring.com> wrote in message
> Partition Magic on my old Inspiron 1200 doesn't recognize my new
> on-sale 16gb Kingston USB flash drive, which comes with a FAT32
> filesystem.
>
> I'd like NTFS so that the file permissions and dates aren't clobbered.
>
> Is there something that changes it to NTFS? Or is it for some reason
> not possible.
>
> I have an XP Pro laptop also, in case XP Pro maybe can do it somewhere.

Click on "My Computer". Then highlight your USB drive. The right-click and
select "Format". Select NTFS.

- David Harper

From: Ron Hardin on
David Harper wrote:

> "Ron Hardin" <rhhardin(a)mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > Partition Magic on my old Inspiron 1200 doesn't recognize my new
> > on-sale 16gb Kingston USB flash drive, which comes with a FAT32
> > filesystem.
> >
> > I'd like NTFS so that the file permissions and dates aren't clobbered.
> >
> > Is there something that changes it to NTFS? Or is it for some reason
> > not possible.
> >
> > I have an XP Pro laptop also, in case XP Pro maybe can do it somewhere.
>
> Click on "My Computer". Then highlight your USB drive. The right-click and
> select "Format". Select NTFS.
>
> - David Harper

Thanks. I'd heard it was in XP Pro somewhere.

Unfortunately the only format option it gives is for FAT32.

I wonder if it's something about the kind of device.
--
rhhardin(a)mindspring.com

From: Tom Cole on
On Sat, 01 May 2010 16:29:13 -0400, Ron Hardin
<rhhardin(a)mindspring.com> wrote:

>David Harper wrote:
>>
>> "Ron Hardin" <rhhardin(a)mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> > Partition Magic on my old Inspiron 1200 doesn't recognize my new
>> > on-sale 16gb Kingston USB flash drive, which comes with a FAT32
>> > filesystem.
>> >
>> > I'd like NTFS so that the file permissions and dates aren't clobbered.
>> >
>> > Is there something that changes it to NTFS? Or is it for some reason
>> > not possible.
>> >
>> > I have an XP Pro laptop also, in case XP Pro maybe can do it somewhere.
>>
>> Click on "My Computer". Then highlight your USB drive. The right-click and
>> select "Format". Select NTFS.
>>
>> - David Harper
>
>Thanks. I'd heard it was in XP Pro somewhere.
>
>Unfortunately the only format option it gives is for FAT32.
>
>I wonder if it's something about the kind of device.

Flash drives prefer to stay as FAT32. However you can convert it to
NTFS by using the 'convert' utility (run 'convert /?' in a DOS box for
the options).
From: olfart on

> David Harper wrote:
>>
>> "Ron Hardin" <rhhardin(a)mindspring.com> wrote in message
>> > Partition Magic on my old Inspiron 1200 doesn't recognize my new
>> > on-sale 16gb Kingston USB flash drive, which comes with a FAT32
>> > filesystem.
>> >
>> > I'd like NTFS so that the file permissions and dates aren't clobbered.
>> >
>> > Is there something that changes it to NTFS? Or is it for some reason
>> > not possible.
>> >
>> > I have an XP Pro laptop also, in case XP Pro maybe can do it somewhere.
>>
>> Click on "My Computer". Then highlight your USB drive. The right-click
>> and
>> select "Format". Select NTFS.
>>
>> - David Harper
>
> Thanks. I'd heard it was in XP Pro somewhere.
>
> Unfortunately the only format option it gives is for FAT32.
>
> I wonder if it's something about the kind of device.
> --
google for HP Format Tool
that will do it for you