From: Mel on
OK, I'm shopping around for a new laptop. My needs are modest.
Staples has a nice special tomorrow:

HP laptop (does not state model #).
Intel Dual core Processor T4400
17.3" screen, which I LIKE.
3 gb RAM 250 GB HD
Windows 7 Home.
$479.99

I've narrowed it down to this vs. a Dell Inspiron 1545-- 15.6" screen,
similar configuration.

I'm getting older and my wife and I prefer (SLIGHTLY) the 17.3" screen. The
price is good but:

We know nothing about HP machines. Are they in the same league as Dell,
quality-wise.
We have never been disappointed in the quality of our computers (we have had
IBM, ZEOS, Gateway, and Dell -- all have been good, as well as our C64 and
Commodore Pet machines, so you see we are not young folks!)

Thoughts?

Mel

From: Tony Harding on
On 05/01/10 13:13, Mel wrote:
> OK, I'm shopping around for a new laptop. My needs are modest.
> Staples has a nice special tomorrow:
>
> HP laptop (does not state model #).
> Intel Dual core Processor T4400
> 17.3" screen, which I LIKE.
> 3 gb RAM 250 GB HD
> Windows 7 Home.
> $479.99
>
> I've narrowed it down to this vs. a Dell Inspiron 1545-- 15.6" screen,
> similar configuration.
>
> I'm getting older and my wife and I prefer (SLIGHTLY) the 17.3" screen. The
> price is good but:
>
> We know nothing about HP machines. Are they in the same league as Dell,
> quality-wise.
> We have never been disappointed in the quality of our computers (we have had
> IBM, ZEOS, Gateway, and Dell -- all have been good, as well as our C64 and
> Commodore Pet machines, so you see we are not young folks!)

How portable do you want your laptop to be? The 17" screen is *big*!
From: Mel on
we are not going to travel with it.

mel

From: me on
"Sam Spade" <sloopokespam(a)opto.net> wrote:

>And frankly since I don't travel with my pc I prefer the tower although my
>wife doesn't.

same here

for home use I STILL like a desktop!
From: Robert L. Altic Jr. on
Hi Mel,
I just replaced my wifes Inspiron 6000 15 inch laptop with a new
Inspiron 17. She holds it on her lap, and is a little unhappy about
the size of the machine, but likes the screen. After sorting out the
Workgroup problem, it's Win7 system can print on the network and runs
fine. Like others have said, HP is fine, Dell is fine you get bummers
with both. I tend not to use HP because I am more familiar with Dell
and Gateway (in the past). Good luck...like the screen and also Win7
on ours. Best, Bob

On Sat, 1 May 2010 13:13:06 -0400, "Mel" <nowayfriend(a)nuwoo.net>
wrote:

>OK, I'm shopping around for a new laptop. My needs are modest.
>Staples has a nice special tomorrow:
>
>HP laptop (does not state model #).
>Intel Dual core Processor T4400
>17.3" screen, which I LIKE.
>3 gb RAM 250 GB HD
>Windows 7 Home.
>$479.99
>
>I've narrowed it down to this vs. a Dell Inspiron 1545-- 15.6" screen,
>similar configuration.
>
>I'm getting older and my wife and I prefer (SLIGHTLY) the 17.3" screen. The
>price is good but:
>
>We know nothing about HP machines. Are they in the same league as Dell,
>quality-wise.
>We have never been disappointed in the quality of our computers (we have had
>IBM, ZEOS, Gateway, and Dell -- all have been good, as well as our C64 and
>Commodore Pet machines, so you see we are not young folks!)
>
>Thoughts?
>
>Mel
>
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4