From: lgreenwood on
On May 1, 11:13 am, "Mel" <nowayfri...(a)nuwoo.net> wrote:
> OK, I'm shopping around for a new laptop. My needs are modest.
> Staples has a nice special tomorrow:
>
> HP laptop (does not state model #).
> Intel Dual core Processor T4400
> 17.3" screen, which I LIKE.
> 3 gb RAM 250 GB HD
> Windows 7 Home.
> $479.99
>
> I've narrowed it down to this vs. a Dell Inspiron 1545-- 15.6" screen,
> similar configuration.
>
> I'm getting older and my wife and I prefer (SLIGHTLY) the 17.3" screen. The
> price is good but:
>
> We know nothing about HP machines. Are they in the same league as Dell,
> quality-wise.
> We have never been disappointed in the quality of our computers (we have had
> IBM, ZEOS, Gateway, and Dell -- all have been good, as well as  our C64 and
> Commodore Pet machines, so you see we are not young folks!)
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Mel

comp.sys.hp.hardware

One group for hp

Larry
From: Ben Myers on
On 5/2/2010 11:53 PM, WaIIy wrote:
> On Sun, 02 May 2010 23:16:57 -0400, Ben Myers<ben_myers(a)charter.net>
> wrote:

>>> Just becuz somene criticizes Fox doesn't mean he favors anyone! JO
>>
>> Right! Opinions masquerading as news are not journalism, whether the
>> opinions come from left, right, Al Qaeda, or the Politburo... Ben Myers
>
> Point being, there are plenty of political newsgroups or is this now
> alt.politics.dell ?

Well, I could not resist making the comparision... Ben
From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> Are they in the same league as Dell, quality-wise.

No, I don't think so. I see a lot more HP systems (laptop and desktop
alike) come in for service. By comparison, I don't see as many Dell
systems. HP tends to cheapskate on their hardware, much more so than
usual.

Were it my choice, I'd buy a Dell Latitude something-or-other from the
business store.

William
From: William R. Walsh on
Hi!

> Point being, there are plenty of political newsgroups or is this
> now alt.politics.dell ?

Can you imagine that? It'd probably have something to do with "Intel"
powered Dell versus "AMD" powered Dell.

William (AMD user extraordinaire and part time comic relief)
From: Paul on

"Mel" <nowayfriend(a)nuwoo.net> wrote in message
> OK, I'm shopping around for a new laptop. My needs are modest.
> Staples has a nice special tomorrow:
>
> HP laptop (does not state model #).
> Intel Dual core Processor T4400
> 17.3" screen, which I LIKE.
> 3 gb RAM 250 GB HD
> Windows 7 Home.
> $479.99
>
> I've narrowed it down to this vs. a Dell Inspiron 1545-- 15.6" screen,
> similar configuration.
>
> I'm getting older and my wife and I prefer (SLIGHTLY) the 17.3" screen.
> The price is good but:
>
> We know nothing about HP machines. Are they in the same league as Dell,
> quality-wise.
> We have never been disappointed in the quality of our computers (we have
> had IBM, ZEOS, Gateway, and Dell -- all have been good, as well as our
> C64 and Commodore Pet machines, so you see we are not young folks!)
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Mel

Make sure you take a good look at the screen on the HP. I've always been a
Dell fan, but a few months ago I gave HP a shot, bought a 17" dv7t laptop,
and I thought the screen was terrible. Was like looking though a hole, with
dark corners and poor viewing angles. So I returned that one and bought a
notebook in the HP business line, hoping for an improvement, and that one
had a terrible screen as well. I've never seen screens that bad on any
Inspiron or Latitude.

-- Paul

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4