From: postmaster on
On Tue, 5 Jan 2010 15:54:47 +0000 (UTC), retsuhcs(a)xinap.moc (Mike S.)
wrote:

>Weird. Got an ancient Linksys WRT54G running 3 year old DD-WRT firmware. I
>just set up a Samsung netbook for my neice, running Windows 7 Starter, and
>it had absolutely no problem accessing the router.

Ditto here except my firmware dates back to August 2005.

Indeed, I didnt even consider that Windows 7 wouldnt be compatible
with my router - that could have been a costly mistake :-(
From: skeeter on

"Ben Myers" <ben_myers(a)charter.net> wrote in message

> It's always a question of time available to troubleshoot a problem, and,
> when it's a paying customer, how much they are willing to pay. Had this
> been the branch office of a well-heeled corporate client (e.g. Goldman
> Sachs), I would have willingly spent as much time as necessary to pinpoint
> the exact cause of the failure of a Dell Win 7 laptop to hitch itself to
> the USR8054. And billed for the time! ... Ben Myers

yeabut, how often do *those* jobs come around.

From: RnR on
On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 01:13:35 -0500, Ben Myers <ben_myers(a)charter.net>
wrote:

>As many may recall, I reported that Dell Windows 7 laptops were unable
>to establish wifi connections with a US Robotics router. After some
>time trying to determine the cause of the problem, I told my sometime
>client that the router should be replaced, because it is old and no
>longer supported by the manufacturer. I looked at the US Robotics web
>site just now and saw that the router, model USR8054, is not supported
>with Windows 7 by US Robotics, whatever that means. A couple of people
>here said that I had taken the easy way out in recommending replacement.
> In fact, they are right. With my laptop, I could have snooped the
>packets for the wifi connect from my XP laptop and from a Win 7 laptop
>and compared them. That would take more time than the client was

What exactly would you be looking for in those packets to find the
wifi connect?

From: Ben Myers on
skeeter wrote:

> "Ben Myers" <ben_myers(a)charter.net> wrote in message
>>
>> It's always a question of time available to troubleshoot a problem,
>> and, when it's a paying customer, how much they are willing to pay.
>> Had this been the branch office of a well-heeled corporate client
>> (e.g. Goldman Sachs), I would have willingly spent as much time as
>> necessary to pinpoint the exact cause of the failure of a Dell Win 7
>> laptop to hitch itself to the USR8054. And billed for the time! ...
>> Ben Myers
>
> yeabut, how often do *those* jobs come around.

I do not hold my breath waiting for them. But Goldman Sachs is free to
call me at any time... Ben
From: Ben Myers on
RnR wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Jan 2010 01:13:35 -0500, Ben Myers <ben_myers(a)charter.net>
> wrote:
>
>> As many may recall, I reported that Dell Windows 7 laptops were unable
>> to establish wifi connections with a US Robotics router. After some
>> time trying to determine the cause of the problem, I told my sometime
>> client that the router should be replaced, because it is old and no
>> longer supported by the manufacturer. I looked at the US Robotics web
>> site just now and saw that the router, model USR8054, is not supported
>> with Windows 7 by US Robotics, whatever that means. A couple of people
>> here said that I had taken the easy way out in recommending replacement.
>> In fact, they are right. With my laptop, I could have snooped the
>> packets for the wifi connect from my XP laptop and from a Win 7 laptop
>> and compared them. That would take more time than the client was
>
> What exactly would you be looking for in those packets to find the
> wifi connect?
>

>> willing to pay for, so I did not do it. Too many bits to compare! At
>> this point, let's just believe that Microsoft changed something in the
>> wifi connect protocol between Vista and Windows 7.
>>
>> Spoke to client today. A replacement Linksys wifi router works
>> perfectly with their Windows 7 computers now... Ben Myers

I would have to capture the packets for both ends of the wifi connection
dialog. One set of captured packets would be for a successful connect
between an XP laptop and the USR8054. The other set would be between a
Win 7 laptop and USR8054. What I would be looking for would be
differences in messages sent by XP and Win 7 computers. Beyond this, I
cannot say exactly what I would be looking for and what I might find.

The router in question was wide open with no security, no encryption and
no password. Microsoft has treated this combination with increased
paranoia going from XP to Vista (UGH!) to Win 7. I would expect to see
some differences among all three sets of packets... Ben Myers