From: Emily Brick on
I am a a brand new user to Adobe Dreamweaver. I have a very simple
website layout with mainly text and a few links. The font I've chose
to use is set to Futura which I've added to the font list. Everything
looks fine in the design format but when I switch to live view or do
preview, the font shows up as Verdana or Helvetica. Is this just
temporary or am I doing something wrong? Any help would be graciously
appreciated. Thanks so much.
From: Duncan Kennedy on
In message
<effeb24b-1749-4191-a32b-99261fec9fec(a)r26g2000vbi.googlegroups.com>,
Emily Brick <brick.emily(a)gmail.com> writes
>I am a a brand new user to Adobe Dreamweaver. I have a very simple
>website layout with mainly text and a few links. The font I've chose
>to use is set to Futura which I've added to the font list. Everything
>looks fine in the design format but when I switch to live view or do
>preview, the font shows up as Verdana or Helvetica. Is this just
>temporary or am I doing something wrong? Any help would be graciously
>appreciated. Thanks so much.

I'm not sure what is happening in your Live View but remember that a web
page is not printed like a sheet of paper - the Font isn't embedded (at
least not without a lot of effort and licensing) - it is an instruction
to the visitor's computer to use, say, Futura - which it may not have.
Futura is not available by default on all computers (like Macs and
Linux) so I guess Live View is showing you how your site will look on
computers that don't have Futura.

The *default Dreamweaver font list is showing you the only fonts which
have direct or close equivalents across platforms - e.g. Arial,
Helvetica, sans serif or Verdona, Helvetica, sans serif. (Basically,
Windows / Mac / Linux)

--
Duncan K
Downtown Dalgety Bay
From: Tom on
On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 07:33:31 -0800 (PST), Emily Brick <brick.emily(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>I am a a brand new user to Adobe Dreamweaver. I have a very simple
>website layout with mainly text and a few links. The font I've chose
>to use is set to Futura which I've added to the font list. Everything
>looks fine in the design format but when I switch to live view or do
>preview, the font shows up as Verdana or Helvetica. Is this just
>temporary or am I doing something wrong? Any help would be graciously
>appreciated. Thanks so much.

Do you have Futura first in the fonts you defined for the pages?
From: Your Name on

"Tom" <CatInTheFat(a)feline.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 18 Jan 2010 07:33:31 -0800 (PST), Emily Brick
<brick.emily(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >I am a a brand new user to Adobe Dreamweaver. I have a very simple
> >website layout with mainly text and a few links. The font I've chose
> >to use is set to Futura which I've added to the font list. Everything
> >looks fine in the design format but when I switch to live view or do
> >preview, the font shows up as Verdana or Helvetica. Is this just
> >temporary or am I doing something wrong? Any help would be graciously
> >appreciated. Thanks so much.
>
> Do you have Futura first in the fonts you defined for the pages?

Not really relevant since many of the visitors to the web page won't even
have that font.

You have to stick to the standard "web safe" fonts, unless the website is
for an internal network where you can control what fonts are on the
computers.

The only other options for using "fancy" fonts is to use a PDF or similar
format that embeds the fonts or convert the words to GIF / JPEG (or PNG if
you really must) images.

Helpful Harry :o)

From: Tom on

But he said:
"...when I switch to live view or do preview, the font shows up as Verdana or
Helvetica"

He must already have the font on his local PC to see it in Design view...right?
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2
Prev: Required Web Developer
Next: ecommerce