From: bugbear on
J. Clarke wrote:
> On 5/19/2010 5:27 PM, Dudley Hanks wrote:
>> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/FoodPrep1.jpg
>>
>> Just playing around with a macro shot.
>>
>> I'm starting to like this SX120...
>
> For some reason the autofocus picked something or other that was
> reflected in the shiny part of the blade to focus on, instead of the
> knife and vegetables.

The reason is obvious - that is the subject nearest the centre
of the picture.

Clearly (!?) if the subject were a mirror
large enough to fill the field
one would EXPECT the autofocus to focus
on what's in the mirror and not the mirror
itself.

A more interesting focusing question arising when
photographing a picture framed behind glass.

Depending on the lighting, the focusing mechanism
could legitimately focus on either
the reflection in the glass OR the picture
behind the glass.

Either (and both) would be correct.

BugBear
From: Sharon on

"J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net> wrote in message
> On 5/19/2010 5:27 PM, Dudley Hanks wrote:
>> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/FoodPrep1.jpg
>>
>> Just playing around with a macro shot.
>>
>> I'm starting to like this SX120...
>
> For some reason the autofocus picked something or other that was reflected
> in the shiny part of the blade to focus on, instead of the knife and
> vegetables.
>
> Interesting effect.

It would be nice if the knife were in focus, but I like the composition.
The reflection on the knife is interesting too.

Sharon

From: Dudley Hanks on

"Tim Conway" <tconway_113(a)comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Paul Furman" <paul-@-edgehill.net> wrote in message
>> Dudley Hanks wrote:
>>> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/FoodPrep1.jpg
>>> Just playing around with a macro shot.
>>
>> Tree branches reflected out the kitchen window?
>>

> I think it's vegetables (potatoes?) and a knife. Needs more DOF.

Yeah, it was a roaster full of chopped vegies, with the kitchen knife laying
on top.

I was hoping for that legendary P&S extreem DOF to yield more of the image
in focus, but it sounds like it didn't work...

I'll have to play around with it a bit more to find out what the DOF is with
this cam.

It could also be that I screwed up on the controls and didn't get it in
macro mode, so the whole image just didn't focus properly. As I've
mentioned earlier, the controls on this cam are a bit awkward for me.

Take Care,
Dudley

From: Dudley Hanks on

"J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net> wrote in message
> On 5/19/2010 5:27 PM, Dudley Hanks wrote:
>> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/FoodPrep1.jpg
>>
>> Just playing around with a macro shot.
>>
>> I'm starting to like this SX120...
>
> For some reason the autofocus picked something or other that was reflected
> in the shiny part of the blade to focus on, instead of the knife and
> vegetables.
>
> Interesting effect.

That's why I think I messed up on the controls and didn't get it in macro
mode. Had it actually been set to macro, nothing more than a
foot-and-a-half should have been in focus. But whatever is reflected in the
blade, possibly the trees out the window as Paul has suggested, would have
been farther away than that.

If it was in normal mode, it wouldn't have been able to focus close enough
for the knife / veggies, so it probably picked the only other thing it could
actually get clear -- the reflection...

As mentioned, I'm starting to like the cam, but it's going to take a while
to master the controls...

Take Care,
Dudley

From: Dudley Hanks on

"Sharon" <sharon_barbour(a)hp.com> wrote in message

> "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net> wrote in message
>> On 5/19/2010 5:27 PM, Dudley Hanks wrote:
>>> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/FoodPrep1.jpg
>>>
>>> Just playing around with a macro shot.
>>>
>>> I'm starting to like this SX120...
>>
>> For some reason the autofocus picked something or other that was
>> reflected in the shiny part of the blade to focus on, instead of the
>> knife and vegetables.
>>
>> Interesting effect.
>
> It would be nice if the knife were in focus, but I like the composition.
> The reflection on the knife is interesting too.
>
> Sharon

The intention was to have the knife as the subject proper, but it didn't
quite work that way.

I'll try again and hopefully get it right.

Take Care,
Dudley