From: krishnananda on
In article <mMeJn.4299$Z6.765(a)edtnps82>,
"Dudley Hanks" <dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote:

> "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net> wrote in message
> > On 5/19/2010 5:27 PM, Dudley Hanks wrote:
> >> http://www.blind-apertures.ca/LatestPics/FoodPrep1.jpg
> >>
> >> Just playing around with a macro shot.
> >>
> >> I'm starting to like this SX120...
> >
> > For some reason the autofocus picked something or other that was reflected
> > in the shiny part of the blade to focus on, instead of the knife and
> > vegetables.
> >
> > Interesting effect.
> >

> That's why I think I messed up on the controls and didn't get it in macro
> mode. Had it actually been set to macro, nothing more than a
> foot-and-a-half should have been in focus. But whatever is reflected in the
> blade, possibly the trees out the window as Paul has suggested, would have
> been farther away than that.
>
> If it was in normal mode, it wouldn't have been able to focus close enough
> for the knife / veggies, so it probably picked the only other thing it could
> actually get clear -- the reflection...
>
> As mentioned, I'm starting to like the cam, but it's going to take a while
> to master the controls...
>
> Take Care,
> Dudley

Sometimes "mistakes" make for the most interesting photos. I'm intrigued
by the shape of the knife blade -- it reminds me of the Finnish (and
Lapp/Sami) Pukka, the arctic survival/hunting/cooking/eating knife.

I also like the way the blade's shiny surface and darker sharpened
surface complement each other.

Since I can easily make out the potatoes and other veg in the pan even
though they are out of focus, I really like the sharp image of the
reflected trees. It's the kind of serendipity that keeps me interested
in photography. I wouldn't change a thing.
From: Dudley Hanks on

"krishnananda" <krishna(a)divine-life.in.invalid> wrote in message
> In article <mMeJn.4299$Z6.765(a)edtnps82>,
> "Dudley Hanks" <dhanks(a)blind-apertures.ca> wrote:
>
>> "J. Clarke" <jclarke.usenet(a)cox.net> wrote in message

>> > For some reason the autofocus picked something or other that was
>> > reflected
>> > in the shiny part of the blade to focus on, instead of the knife and
>> > vegetables.
>> >
>> > Interesting effect.
>> >

>> That's why I think I messed up on the controls and didn't get it in macro
>> mode. Had it actually been set to macro, nothing more than a
>> foot-and-a-half should have been in focus. But whatever is reflected in
>> the
>> blade, possibly the trees out the window as Paul has suggested, would
>> have
>> been farther away than that.
>>
>> If it was in normal mode, it wouldn't have been able to focus close
>> enough
>> for the knife / veggies, so it probably picked the only other thing it
>> could
>> actually get clear -- the reflection...
>>
>> As mentioned, I'm starting to like the cam, but it's going to take a
>> while
>> to master the controls...
>>
>> Take Care,
>> Dudley
>
> Sometimes "mistakes" make for the most interesting photos. I'm intrigued
> by the shape of the knife blade -- it reminds me of the Finnish (and
> Lapp/Sami) Pukka, the arctic survival/hunting/cooking/eating knife.
>
> I also like the way the blade's shiny surface and darker sharpened
> surface complement each other.
>
> Since I can easily make out the potatoes and other veg in the pan even
> though they are out of focus, I really like the sharp image of the
> reflected trees. It's the kind of serendipity that keeps me interested
> in photography. I wouldn't change a thing.

Thanks, Krishnananda, I appreciate your comments.

The thing about these accidental shots is they reveal new approaches to the
art. While I wasn't trying for this effect, and will probably reshoot to
get the shot I was after, they do indeed provide neat pics in their own
right, and help point us towards new ways of making images. This shot
already has me thinking of how I can incorporate a shining reflection as an
integral part of something larger.

Take Care,
Dudley