From: David Mark on
David Mark wrote:
> Peter Michaux wrote:
>> On Mar 19, 10:32 pm, David Mark <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> BTW, typeof YUI != 'awesome', so though clearly a language expert,
>>> Crockford's browser scripting legacy is pretty limp in comparison.
>> I don't think Crockford was or is as involved with YUI! as you think.
>
> That's as maybe. What has he done in terms of browser scripting?

Forgot to mention a couple of things. Posted examples that call
hasOwnProperty without feature detection, gave talks about "browser
grading", famously calling for IE6 to be forced into retirement (a
perfectly ludicrous call that plays to a popular broken-down bandwagon)
and IIRC has discussed "browser grading" with a straight face. He's the
anti-Cornford.
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
David Mark wrote:

> David Mark wrote:
>> Peter Michaux wrote:
>>> I don't think Crockford was or is as involved with YUI! as you think.
>>
>> That's as maybe. What has he done in terms of browser scripting?
>
> Forgot to mention a couple of things. Posted examples that call
> hasOwnProperty without feature detection, gave talks about "browser
> grading", famously calling for IE6 to be forced into retirement (a
> perfectly ludicrous call that plays to a popular broken-down bandwagon)
> and IIRC has discussed "browser grading" with a straight face. He's the
> anti-Cornford.

Don't forget his recommendation to use `window' to avoid "implied globals"
(in jslint). Now that's a ridiculous blunder not easily forgiven.

PointedEars
--
var bugRiddenCrashPronePieceOfJunk = (
) // Plone, register_function.js:16
From: David Mark on
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> David Mark wrote:
>
>> David Mark wrote:
>>> That's as maybe. What has he done in terms of browser scripting?
>> Forgot to mention a couple of things. Posted examples that call
>> hasOwnProperty without feature detection, gave talks about "browser
>> grading", famously calling for IE6 to be forced into retirement (a
>> perfectly ludicrous call that plays to a popular broken-down bandwagon)
>> and IIRC has discussed "browser grading" with a straight face. He's the
>> anti-Cornford.
>
> Don't forget his recommendation to use `window' to avoid "implied globals"
> (in jslint). Now that's a ridiculous blunder not easily forgiven.

Yes. I forgot that one (if I ever knew of it). Do you mean he recommends:-

window.myvar = something;

(?)

That would be unpardonable. :)

From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
David Mark wrote:

> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>> David Mark wrote:
>>> Forgot to mention a couple of things. Posted examples that call
>>> hasOwnProperty without feature detection, gave talks about "browser
>>> grading", famously calling for IE6 to be forced into retirement (a
>>> perfectly ludicrous call that plays to a popular broken-down bandwagon)
>>> and IIRC has discussed "browser grading" with a straight face. He's
>>> the anti-Cornford.
>>
>> Don't forget his recommendation to use `window' to avoid "implied
>> globals" (in jslint). Now that's a ridiculous blunder not easily
>> forgiven.
>
> Yes. I forgot that one (if I ever knew of it). Do you mean he
> recommends:-
>
> window.myvar = something;
>
> (?)
>
> That would be unpardonable. :)

Here you are:

PointedEars
--
realism: HTML 4.01 Strict
evangelism: XHTML 1.0 Strict
From: David Mark on
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> David Mark wrote:
>
>> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>>> Don't forget his recommendation to use `window' to avoid "implied
>>> globals" (in jslint). Now that's a ridiculous blunder not easily
>>> forgiven.
>> Yes. I forgot that one (if I ever knew of it). Do you mean he
>> recommends:-
>>
>> window.myvar = something;
>>
>> (?)
>>
>> That would be unpardonable. :)
>
> Here you are:

Thanks, but TB doesn't seem to like those. Probably confused by so many
different FF versions installed beside it.

The thing is, he switched it a year or two back to list window itself as
an implied global, even when assuming a browser, which certainly makes
no sense. He should forget about host objects.