From: "Michael Haufe ("TNO")" on
Actually, I thought this would be the perfect kryponite for David
Mark:

http://benalman.com/news/2009/12/john-resig-javascripts-chuck-norris/
From: David Mark on
Michael Haufe ("TNO") wrote:
> Actually, I thought this would be the perfect kryponite for David
> Mark:

Fact: David Mark eats kryptonite for breakfast. :)

> http://benalman.com/news/2009/12/john-resig-javascripts-chuck-norris/

That's very odd, I thought Crockford was the JS Chuck Norris?

http://roomthily.tumblr.com/post/459492918

BTW, typeof YUI != 'awesome', so though clearly a language expert,
Crockford's browser scripting legacy is pretty limp in comparison.

And Resig is more like Javascript's Pee Wee Herman. ;)

I meant to do that. :)
From: Peter Michaux on
On Mar 19, 10:32 pm, David Mark <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> BTW, typeof YUI != 'awesome', so though clearly a language expert,
> Crockford's browser scripting legacy is pretty limp in comparison.

I don't think Crockford was or is as involved with YUI! as you think.
From what I understand his role was as a resource to the YUI! team.

Crockford's legacy is that he used good taste to choose good ideas
from how Scheme is used (lexical closures for message passing OOP and
s-expressions for data transport in the form of JSON), ideas discussed
on comp.lang.javascript, some of his own ideas about how to fit those
ideas together, and spread those ideas. He is a teacher and as a
teacher he has improved the overall quality of JavaScript programming
on the web.

And he killed ES4 which seems to have been the right choice.
From: "Michael Haufe ("TNO")" on
On Mar 20, 12:36 am, Peter Michaux <petermich...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> And he killed ES4 which seems to have been the right choice.

The details are foggy on that point.
From: David Mark on
Peter Michaux wrote:
> On Mar 19, 10:32 pm, David Mark <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> BTW, typeof YUI != 'awesome', so though clearly a language expert,
>> Crockford's browser scripting legacy is pretty limp in comparison.
>
> I don't think Crockford was or is as involved with YUI! as you think.

That's as maybe. What has he done in terms of browser scripting?

> From what I understand his role was as a resource to the YUI! team.

Well, he let them go wildly astray, at least in terms of browser
scripting. The code may pass JSLint, but that's gloss on a rat.

> Crockford's legacy is that he used good taste to choose good ideas
> from how Scheme is used (lexical closures for message passing OOP and
> s-expressions for data transport in the form of JSON), ideas discussed
> on comp.lang.javascript, some of his own ideas about how to fit those
> ideas together, and spread those ideas.

Yes, kudos. :)

> He is a teacher and as a
> teacher he has improved the overall quality of JavaScript programming
> on the web.

I see no evidence of that. Show me scripts in use on the Web that are
worthwhile. I can never find _any_, other than the _occasional_ example
code.

> And he killed ES4 which seems to have been the right choice.

Yes. Glad for that.