From: David Mark on
David Mark wrote:
>> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:

>>> Unlikely. Try with <http://mnenhy.mozdev.org/> or, to be even more on-
>>> topic (Mnenhy is probably written in JavaScript), the following bookmarklet
>>> (remove the "news:" from the parameter or change the code):
>> I have no idea what it was doing. Clicking the links appeared to be a noop.
>
> Pasting the news: link into Chrome opened a new TB instance, popped up
> an empty Identity dialog (which I canceled) and then did nothing. I
> give up. :)

And speaking of Usenet/Google mysteries. How is it that some people
have their names in the post totals, while others have email addresses?
I remember looking at the message source from people in each group, but
couldn't spot any likely discrepancies. I've noticed that, like
everything about GG, the behavior switches from time to time (sometimes
everyone has an email address rather than a name). The totals never
seem to add up either (compared to other GG report pages), but that's
not new (Google could never count very well).
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on

javascript:window.location="http://groups.google.com/groups/search?hl=en&as_umsgid="+"%s".replace(/^<(news:)?|
>> > $/g,"");
>
> That is getting all fouled up in TB, as well as GG. I tried to piece it
> back together, but kept getting Google server errors.

No, bookmarklets are for your *Web* *browser*. You need to create a
bookmark with the above value as URI and give it a keyword. Then type the
keyword and the parameter (`%s' is replaced with the parameter when you use
the bookmarklet). At least that is how it works in Mozillas.

The alternative is to type the Message-ID without `<', and `>' in the
Message-ID field on the bottom of

<http://groups.google.com/advanced_search>.

> Can you just post a GG (http) link?

If I must:

<http://groups.google.com/groups/search?hl=en&as_umsgid=4A0393D0.8080405(a)PointedEars.de>
<http://groups.google.com/groups/search?hl=en&as_umsgid=43606011.BCLMh4Saal(a)PointedEars.de>

(That is the same as if you typed it in the form.)

PointedEars
--
realism: HTML 4.01 Strict
evangelism: XHTML 1.0 Strict
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
David Mark wrote:

> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>> David Mark wrote:
>>> Thanks, but TB doesn't seem to like those. Probably confused by so
>>> many different FF versions installed beside it.
>>
>> Unlikely. Try with <http://mnenhy.mozdev.org/> or, to be even more on-
>> topic (Mnenhy is probably written in JavaScript), the following
>> bookmarklet (remove the "news:" from the parameter or change the code):
>
> I have no idea what it was doing. Clicking the links appeared to be a
> noop.

Clicking the secondary mouse button (on Mac: Ctrl+Click) should show a
context menu containing "Search Msg-ID" > "Google Groups". But it is
possible that you have to insert `/search' in the resulting URI, as
described, for this to work, because Google changed their Advanced Search
interface. The author has not released a new version yet, not even one
that would be compatible with TB3, which really is a pity as it is a great
tool (Msg-ID lookup is only one of its many functions).

PointedEars
--
realism: HTML 4.01 Strict
evangelism: XHTML 1.0 Strict
From: David Mark on
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> David Mark wrote:
>
>> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> javascript:window.location="http://groups.google.com/groups/search?hl=en&as_umsgid="+"%s".replace(/^<(news:)?|
>> That is getting all fouled up in TB, as well as GG. I tried to piece it
>> back together, but kept getting Google server errors.
>
> No, bookmarklets are for your *Web* *browser*.

I know that. I pasted it into the Web browser's address bar, which
AFAIK, should have worked.

> You need to create a
> bookmark with the above value as URI and give it a keyword.

Ah, I never bother with them, so I am ignorant of the mechanics
involved. I thought they were basically just javascript: links bookmarked.

> Then type the
> keyword and the parameter (`%s' is replaced with the parameter when you use
> the bookmarklet). At least that is how it works in Mozillas.

No idea.

> The alternative is to type the Message-ID without `<', and `>' in the
> Message-ID field on the bottom of
>
> <http://groups.google.com/advanced_search>.

Right. I was getting tired of messing with GG though.

>> Can you just post a GG (http) link?
>
> If I must:
>
> <http://groups.google.com/groups/search?hl=en&as_umsgid=4A0393D0.8080405(a)PointedEars.de>
> <http://groups.google.com/groups/search?hl=en&as_umsgid=43606011.BCLMh4Saal(a)PointedEars.de>

Thanks. The first was the JSLint oddity I mentioned. The second is a
real spit-take moment. It goes to show that he knows the language (very
well of course), but not so much how to apply it in a browser.
From: David Mark on
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> David Mark wrote:
>
>> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>>> Unlikely. Try with <http://mnenhy.mozdev.org/> or, to be even more on-
>>> topic (Mnenhy is probably written in JavaScript), the following
>>> bookmarklet (remove the "news:" from the parameter or change the code):
>> I have no idea what it was doing. Clicking the links appeared to be a
>> noop.
>
> Clicking the secondary mouse button (on Mac: Ctrl+Click) should show a
> context menu containing "Search Msg-ID" > "Google Groups". But it is
> possible that you have to insert `/search' in the resulting URI, as
> described, for this to work, because Google changed their Advanced Search
> interface. The author has not released a new version yet, not even one
> that would be compatible with TB3, which really is a pity as it is a great
> tool (Msg-ID lookup is only one of its many functions).

Sorry, I was referring to TB. I didn't download that other thing.