From: Karl E. Peterson on
Hi --

Okay, so how does one go about forcing character encoding? I thought
that by having this in the <head> section:

That a browser would automatically choose to use ISO-8859-1, but for
some inexplicable reason I've seen pages lately where both Firefox and
IE8 choose to use Unicode instead.

These are just pretty straight-up ASP pages, with this as the very
first line:

"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">

They're full of the diamond-question mark char, though. Ideas?

Thanks... Karl

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: "Trevor Lawrence" Trevor on
I thought that I read somewhere in this or another NG that the server
decides what character code to use. But I am sure that someone with more
knowledge than I will reply

--
Trevor Lawrence
Canberra

From: Hot-text on
It not the webpage!
it is your Firefox and IE8 set to Unicode!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Character_encodingISO-8859-1 <<<<< Character
encoding translation and
<<<< See also Windows code page - various character set encodings used by
Microsoft Windows>>>>
<<<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_code_page

ISO 8859-1 Western Europe
ISO 8859-2 Western and Central Europe
ISO 8859-3 Western Europe and South European ( Turkish, Maltese plus
Esperanto )
ISO 8859-4 Western Europe and Baltic countries ( Lithuania, Estonia and
Lapp )

And can do
MS-Windows character sets:
Windows-1252 for Western languages

From: Ronx on
As Trevor said, if the server sends an HTTP header that sets the character
encoding, the browser will use that encoding rather than the meta tag
version.

--
Ron Symonds
Microsoft MVP (Expression Web)

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Trevor Lawrence explained on 1/6/2010 :
> I thought that I read somewhere in this or another NG that the server decides
> what character code to use. But I am sure that someone with more knowledge
> than I will reply

Y'know, now that you say that, that does sound familiar. And I'm
seeing *identical* pages coming from different servers behaving
differently. I gotta pursue that angle. Thanks!

--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org