From: Smokey Grindel on
Is there anyway to force TLS 1.0 instead of SSL 3 as the security scheme? We
are trying to bring our systems up to "government" specifications which
requires SSL 3.1 (aka TLS 1.0) and not SSL3 to be used... any guidance on
how to meat this standard? thanks!

__________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4468 (20090929) __________

http://www.eset.com

From: .._.. on
In IIS 6 it takes a registry hack. In my experience, that method only works
some of the time, or at least the tools used to detect the security level
don't understand the change and report it as too low anyway.

If SSL 3 is available and the client isn't set to use it; what are the
possible outcomes? Security is used at a lower level, or not at all. Some
brain dead auditors will still yammer about it, but those folk are not too
bright. Someone using older tools probably HAS to, and you deny service to
them completely if you force it one way or the other. (Note, this applies to
publicly accessible sites or wide-spread account-based sites, if you are
running a site for a small list of people, use SSH instead.)

From: Kocureq on
Smokey Grindel pisze:
> Is there anyway to force TLS 1.0 instead of SSL 3 as the security
> scheme? We are trying to bring our systems up to "government"
> specifications which requires SSL 3.1 (aka TLS 1.0) and not SSL3 to be
> used... any guidance on how to meat this standard? thanks!

If you're ready to reject all clients supporting SSL 3 but not TLS, then
just disable SSL 3 (and lower) and enable TLS in the registry:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/187498

--
/\ /\ [ Jakub 'Kocureq' Anderwald ] /\ /\
=^;^= [ [nick][at][nick].com ] =^;^=