From: RichA on
On Jun 7, 1:36 pm, rfisc...(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:
> RichA  <rander3...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >http://dpreview.com/reviews/SonyNex5Nex3/page8.asp
>
> Tested it yourself, did you?
>
> --
> Ray Fischer
> rfisc...(a)sonic.net

Yes, I did. In fact, I was probably one of the only people in North
America to have gotten shots through it before the crackdown. And
guess what? The pre-production lens was the same optically as the
production. They didn't change anything, they just panicked.
From: RichA on
On Jun 7, 1:54 pm, Bruce <docnews2...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 09:50:47 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3...(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >http://dpreview.com/reviews/SonyNex5Nex3/page8.asp
>
> >The kit lens however seems reasonably good, or about as good as one
> >can expect for an 18-55mm kit lens.
>
> >http://dpreview.com/reviews/SonyNex5Nex3/page7.asp
>
> You obviously didn't read the comments about distortion.
>
> "Distortion is unusually high. At wideangle we measure 2.6% barrel
> distortion, which is complex in character with strong re-correction
> towards the corners (making it relatively difficult to correct in
> software when required). At longer focal lengths the distortion
> changes to the pincushion type, and reaches a whopping 2.4% at 35mm,
> which sets a new record for the strongest distortion of this type
> we've yet measured."
>
> Wavy line (or "moustache") distortion at the wide and?  That's very
> bad news.  2.4% pincushion distortion at 35mm?  Only cheap and nasty
> Cosina wide angle zooms approach this level of distortion.  There is
> really no excuse for it.
>
> A camera is only as good as its lens(es).  NEX will not be worth
> buying unless Sony offers better glass.  *Much* better glass.

Distortion should be the LAST thing on anyone's mind. The real
problem is terrible resolution and omnipresent CA.
From: Ray Fischer on
RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>On Jun 7, 1:36�pm, rfisc...(a)sonic.net (Ray Fischer) wrote:
>> RichA �<rander3...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> >http://dpreview.com/reviews/SonyNex5Nex3/page8.asp
>>
>> Tested it yourself, did you?
>
>Yes, I did. In fact, I was probably one of the only people in North
>America to have gotten shots through it before the crackdown.

Where are your test results?

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net