From: RichA on
Seems like it might. $10k, 40 megapixels (MUCH cheaper than the
competition) and the camera itself is really nice to use. But,
perhaps Pentax doesn't have the production capability to meet demand,
or maybe there aren't enough sensors to make the numbers of these
they'd like to?

http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Pentax_645D_comes_to_Europe_update_515pm_news_298886.html

From: Me on
On 8/06/2010 12:54 p.m., RichA wrote:
> Seems like it might. $10k, 40 megapixels (MUCH cheaper than the
> competition) and the camera itself is really nice to use. But,
> perhaps Pentax doesn't have the production capability to meet demand,
> or maybe there aren't enough sensors to make the numbers of these
> they'd like to?
>
> http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Pentax_645D_comes_to_Europe_update_515pm_news_298886.html

Perhaps they just don't want to produce this in volume at the $10k price
break because there isn't any money in it for them.
From: Ray Fischer on
RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>Seems like it might. $10k,

LOL!

--
Ray Fischer
rfischer(a)sonic.net

From: Me on
On 8/06/2010 4:42 p.m., John A. wrote:
> On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 15:45:50 +1200, Me<user(a)domain.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 8/06/2010 12:54 p.m., RichA wrote:
>>> Seems like it might. $10k, 40 megapixels (MUCH cheaper than the
>>> competition) and the camera itself is really nice to use. But,
>>> perhaps Pentax doesn't have the production capability to meet demand,
>>> or maybe there aren't enough sensors to make the numbers of these
>>> they'd like to?
>>>
>>> http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Pentax_645D_comes_to_Europe_update_515pm_news_298886.html
>>>
>> Perhaps they just don't want to produce this in volume at the $10k price
>> break because there isn't any money in it for them.
>
> From what I've read, volume and the economies of scale is what they're
> counting on in order to make money on it.
It's off to a bad start then.
I simply don't believe that demand will be high from "serious amateur"
photogs, and it will be close to zero from existing professional/studio
photographers who are already invested in other medium format digital gear.
"The firm had planned to release the camera onto the Japanese market in
May, but said it put back the launch until 11 June because orders
exceeded supplies."
There have been all sorts of demand-exceeds-supply problems with some of
Nikon's pro tele lenses, but that never stopped them from "launching"
the products.
I think Pentax's excuse is pure BS.
Hope I'm wrong - I wouldn't mind one, but certainly not at US$10k.
From: Pete D on

"Me" <user(a)domain.invalid> wrote in message
> On 8/06/2010 4:42 p.m., John A. wrote:

>>> Perhaps they just don't want to produce this in volume at the $10k price
>>> break because there isn't any money in it for them.
>>
>> From what I've read, volume and the economies of scale is what they're
>> counting on in order to make money on it.
> It's off to a bad start then.
> I simply don't believe that demand will be high from "serious amateur"
> photogs, and it will be close to zero from existing professional/studio
> photographers who are already invested in other medium format digital
> gear.

i think you would be surprised how many Professional Studio shooters are
still using 645N's and will snap these up at this cheap price point