From: Peter on
"Alfred Molon" <alfred_molon(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
> In article <hust5e$1bui$1(a)adenine.netfront.net>, No spam please says...
>> Anyone think of any other company that holds a product off the market
>> because there's too great a demand for it?
>
> Not 100% sure, but I think that Porsche produces below demand to make
> their cars more exclusive.
> --

That's not quite the same thing as Pentax production. The DeBeers and OPEC,
etc. regulate production to keep prices high.

BTW what is the basis for your comment about Porsche?

--
Peter

From: Me on
On 12/06/2010 8:01 a.m., Alfred Molon wrote:
> In article<hust5e$1bui$1(a)adenine.netfront.net>, No spam please says...
>> Anyone think of any other company that holds a product off the market
>> because there's too great a demand for it?
>
> Not 100% sure, but I think that Porsche produces below demand to make
> their cars more exclusive.

It's likely that cars have been produced by many mainstream makers in
limited numbers and sold below cost (incl to recover development) for
image branding reasons. Homologation specials for motorsport, and
unique models (Honda NSX?) are probably treated as a marketing cost.
From: Pete D on

"Robert Coe" <bob(a)1776.COM> wrote in message
> On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 10:53:07 +0100, Bruce <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> : On Tue, 8 Jun 2010 11:24:07 +0100, "No spam please"
> : <me(a)spamnotwelcome.org> wrote:
> :
> : >"Me" <user(a)domain.invalid> wrote in message
> : >news:hukoj7$in4$1(a)news.albasani.net...
> : >> On 8/06/2010 4:42 p.m., John A. wrote:
> : >>> On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 15:45:50 +1200, Me<user(a)domain.invalid> wrote:
> : >>>
> : >>>> On 8/06/2010 12:54 p.m., RichA wrote:
> : >>>>> Seems like it might. $10k, 40 megapixels (MUCH cheaper than the
> : >>>>> competition) and the camera itself is really nice to use. But,
> : >>>>> perhaps Pentax doesn't have the production capability to meet
> demand,
> : >>>>> or maybe there aren't enough sensors to make the numbers of these
> : >>>>> they'd like to?
> : >>>>>
> : >>>>>
> http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Pentax_645D_comes_to_Europe_update_515pm_news_298886.html
> : >>>>>
> : >> "The firm had planned to release the camera onto the Japanese market
> in
> : >> May, but said it put back the launch until 11 June because orders
> exceeded
> : >> supplies."
> : >
> : >Anyone think of any other company that holds a product off the market
> : >because there's too great a demand for it?
> :
> :
> : A classic example is Apple, who held back the launch of the iPad in
> : Europe because demand was too great.
>
> Wasn't it that demand was so great in the U.S. that it made no sense to
> launch
> in Europe until they got caught up? If so, it's hardly analogous to Pentax
> not
> wanting to launch in Japan. Sounds to me as though Pentax has a
> manufacturing
> problem they fear will cost them big bucks (er, yen) if they don't solve
> it
> pre-launch.
>
> Bob

So it the cup half full or half empty, perhaps they are just trying to be
fair to everyone that wants to buy one.

From: Me on
On 8/06/2010 12:54 p.m., RichA wrote:
> Seems like it might. $10k, 40 megapixels (MUCH cheaper than the
> competition) and the camera itself is really nice to use. But,
> perhaps Pentax doesn't have the production capability to meet demand,
> or maybe there aren't enough sensors to make the numbers of these
> they'd like to?
>
> http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Pentax_645D_comes_to_Europe_update_515pm_news_298886.html

Much cheaper?
Hasselblad discounting the H3DII 31 for $9995, or as a kit with 80mm
lens for $11,995:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=NavBar&A=getItemDetail&Q=&sku=617782&is=REG&si=rev#features

From: Peter on
"John Turco" <jtur(a)concentric.net> wrote in message

> Ha! I was confident that a mating of Kodak and Pentax, would beget
> some prodigious offspring.

Would they name the products Pendak, or Kodtax?

> Now, if only the two companies can make it a permanent arrangement?
> This could finally give Canon and Nikon something to worry about, I
> think.

At one time Kodak had the edge in building digital backs for film cameras.
Through short sighted, piggish decisions they lost it. Pros I know found the
company inflexible and taking a paternalistic attitude. IOW they told the
pros, in essence: "we now what you need, better than you." Kodak's business
philosophy would have to change. I have strong doubts that it will.

--
Peter