From: Bruce on
On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 17:54:10 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
wrote:
>Seems like it might. $10k, 40 megapixels (MUCH cheaper than the
>competition) and the camera itself is really nice to use. But,
>perhaps Pentax doesn't have the production capability to meet demand,
>or maybe there aren't enough sensors to make the numbers of these
>they'd like to?
>
>http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Pentax_645D_comes_to_Europe_update_515pm_news_298886.html

Or, perhaps more likely, Pentax may have significantly underpriced the
camera and could lose money on every one sold. But it is more likely
that Kodak is unable to produce the sensors quickly enough.

I took the precaution of buying several used Pentax 645 lenses at
bargain prices in the hope of getting one of the 645D bodies, but
there is no sign of it coming to Europe any time soon.

From: Peter on
"Bruce" <docnews2011(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> Or, perhaps more likely, Pentax may have significantly underpriced the
> camera and could lose money on every one sold. But it is more likely
> that Kodak is unable to produce the sensors quickly enough.
>
> I took the precaution of buying several used Pentax 645 lenses at
> bargain prices in the hope of getting one of the 645D bodies, but
> there is no sign of it coming to Europe any time soon.

Cough, cough!

--
Peter

From: RichA on
On Jun 8, 6:58 am, Bruce <docnews2...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 17:54:10 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3...(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >Seems like it might.  $10k, 40 megapixels (MUCH cheaper than the
> >competition) and the camera itself is really nice to use.  But,
> >perhaps Pentax doesn't have the production capability to meet demand,
> >or maybe there aren't enough sensors to make the numbers of these
> >they'd like to?
>
> >http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Pentax_645D_comes_to_Europe...
>
> Or, perhaps more likely, Pentax may have significantly underpriced the
> camera and could lose money on every one sold.  But it is more likely
> that Kodak is unable to produce the sensors quickly enough.

Seems like that is what killed their relationship with Olympus. Also,
I don't think there is much economy of scale with the medium format
sensors.
From: Bruce on
On Tue, 8 Jun 2010 15:20:16 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3127(a)gmail.com>
wrote:
>On Jun 8, 6:58�am, Bruce <docnews2...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, 7 Jun 2010 17:54:10 -0700 (PDT), RichA <rander3...(a)gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> >Seems like it might. �$10k, 40 megapixels (MUCH cheaper than the
>> >competition) and the camera itself is really nice to use. �But,
>> >perhaps Pentax doesn't have the production capability to meet demand,
>> >or maybe there aren't enough sensors to make the numbers of these
>> >they'd like to?
>>
>> >http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/news/Pentax_645D_comes_to_Europe...
>>
>> Or, perhaps more likely, Pentax may have significantly underpriced the
>> camera and could lose money on every one sold. �But it is more likely
>> that Kodak is unable to produce the sensors quickly enough.
>>

>Seems like that is what killed their relationship with Olympus.

Kodak's relationship with Olympus foundered because Kodak were unable
to produce decent sensors with more than 5 MP. After the excellence
of the 5 MP sensor in the E-1, Kodak's 8 MP sensor for the Olympus
E-300 was a huge disappointment.

Kodak had made some very good prototype sensors, some of which I had
the privilege to test, but they couldn't translate their performance
into a sensor that could be produced in quantity.

At that point Panasonic entered the fray and produced the sensors that
saved Four Thirds from oblivion.

>Also, I don't think there is much economy of scale with the medium format
>sensors.

The sensor in the Pentax 645D is used in other cameras and backs. But
the difference is that the pricing of the Pentax 645D is very keen and
therefore its sales figures would be likely to be higher by an order
of magnitude.

From: No spam please on
"Me" <user(a)domain.invalid> wrote in message
> On 8/06/2010 4:42 p.m., John A. wrote:

> "The firm had planned to release the camera onto the Japanese market in
> May, but said it put back the launch until 11 June because orders exceeded
> supplies."

Anyone think of any other company that holds a product off the market
because there's too great a demand for it?

Most companies will start shipping a.s.a.p. when they have a backlog of
orders.

Be interesting to see if it has a "good" 40MP sensor or an also-ran.
Quantity doesn't always mean quality, does it?

Regards, Rog.