From: Bill Baka on
On 06/10/2010 03:09 PM, Tim Meddick wrote:
> All PCs are different, but similar.
>
> What your PC terms as "Smart Boot Menu" could mean ; that when enabled,
> you are permitted to press a function key (one of the "F" keys) to
> display a menu of valid boot-devices in a list so you may choose one and
> override the pre-user-defined boot-device order.
>
> That is; when you press, say F12, you get a list of devices you can boot
> from and you can then press a number-key that corresponds to that
> device, like (e.g. ) :
>
> 1. Floppy Disk
> 2. CD-Rom
> 3. Hard-Drive
>
> ...and you can press 2 to boot from the CD-Rom (providing there's a disk
> in the CD drive. If there isn't, then the boot will proceed to the next
> boot-device as ordered in the list )
>
> This way, you can order the preferred boot-devices in the BIOS setup
> like, say, this :
>
> 1st boot-device = Floppy Disk
> 2nd boot-device = CD-Rom
> 3rd boot-device = Hard-Drive
>
> ...then (if "Smart Boot Menu" is enabled) you can press, say, F12 and
> the "Smart Boot Menu" will appear and you can override the 1st boot
> device and press "2" to try booting from the CD-Rom!
>
> That is, of course, I have interpreted the term "Smart Boot Menu"
> correctly.
>
> In the BIOS setup program, you can sometimes, more often than not, press
> F1, while a setting has the focus on it, to give help and a description
> of what that setting does.
>
> On other BIOSes, the "help-text" is constantly displayed at the bottom
> or side of the screen, and changes as you focus on different settings.
>
> ==
>
> Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :-)
>

> "Mr Pounder" <MrPounder(a)RationalThought.com> wrote in message
>>
>> < clipped >
>> They are all listed.
>> However I have noticed that "Smart Boot Menu" is disabled.
>> What do you think Sir?
>>
>> Appreciated
>>
>> Steve
>>
>> < clipped >

I can add a bit to this. I have an ASUS with the AMI BIOS and I can hit
the F8 key to bring up a boot menu. It pretty much brings up all
possible boot devices including USB memory cards. I hope this helps at
least a bit.
Bill Baka
From: Tim Meddick on
Bill,
On my Fujitsu Siemens Scenic T (i845GL), with Phoenix BIOS (2002),
the key to press, when "boot-menu" is enabled, is the [F12] key.

My point was, it can be different on every PC (or, more strictly speaking,
in every BIOS).

And, to that end - yes - you have re-enforced that very point.

If I've got it right, and on the OP's PC the term "Smart Boot Menu" on his
custom-built computer does indeed mean what we are both talking about,
then, the right key to press will be outlined in the setting that enables /
disables it.

==

From: Mr Pounder on

"Tim Meddick" <timmeddick(a)o2.co.uk> wrote in message
> All PCs are different, but similar.
>
> What your PC terms as "Smart Boot Menu" could mean ; that when enabled,
> you are permitted to press a function key (one of the "F" keys) to display
> a menu of valid boot-devices in a list so you may choose one and override
> the pre-user-defined boot-device order.
>
> That is; when you press, say F12, you get a list of devices you can boot
> from and you can then press a number-key that corresponds to that device,
> like (e.g. ) :
>
> 1. Floppy Disk
> 2. CD-Rom
> 3. Hard-Drive
>
> ...and you can press 2 to boot from the CD-Rom (providing there's a disk
> in the CD drive. If there isn't, then the boot will proceed to the next
> boot-device as ordered in the list )
>
> This way, you can order the preferred boot-devices in the BIOS setup like,
> say, this :
>
> 1st boot-device = Floppy Disk
> 2nd boot-device = CD-Rom
> 3rd boot-device = Hard-Drive
>
> ...then (if "Smart Boot Menu" is enabled) you can press, say, F12 and the
> "Smart Boot Menu" will appear and you can override the 1st boot device and
> press "2" to try booting from the CD-Rom!
>
> That is, of course, I have interpreted the term "Smart Boot Menu"
> correctly.
>
> In the BIOS setup program, you can sometimes, more often than not, press
> F1, while a setting has the focus on it, to give help and a description of
> what that setting does.
>
> On other BIOSes, the "help-text" is constantly displayed at the bottom or
> side of the screen, and changes as you focus on different settings.
>
> ==
>
> Cheers, Tim Meddick, Peckham, London. :-)

Thanks for that.
I will leave well alone, I thought it could have been some sort of "computer
knows best setting"

Steve

From: Tim Meddick on
You should not be frightened to enter the BIOS setup program and take a
look at the various settings and system information displayed there.

ALWAYS - in every BIOS setup program - at the point you exit the program,
you are always given the choice[es] :

SAVE changes to BIOS and EXIT
DISCARD any changes and EXIT

SO, as long as you choose the latter, there is never going to be a problem
with "just looking".

If an (internally installed) hard-drive is not visible in the Windows
operating system, the BIOS is one of the first places I would look to see
if it is showing up.

==

From: sandy58 on
On Jun 8, 9:00 pm, "Tim Meddick" <timmedd...(a)o2.co.uk> wrote:
> Have you tried using CHKDSK /R from the Command Prompt or, if using the
> "drive properties"  tools page, checkmark the box labelled "Scan for and
> attempt recovery of bad sectors".
>
> Both will have the same outcome of not only attempting to fix file system
> errors, but by using the [/R] switch instead of [/F] you will scan for and
> attempt recovery of bad sectors.
>
> Also, you could try booting up from your XP Installation disk, and when
> asked, press "R" for
>
> "Repair using Recovery Console"
>
> After Recovery Console [RC] starts, select the Windows installation number
> (i.e. "1" for C:\WINDOWS if that's what's on your disk, there will be a
> list)
>
> Then just press [ENTER] when asked for an Administrator password (unless
> YOU set one, it will be blank).
>
> Finally, at the C:\WINDOWS prompt, type :
>
> CHKDSK /R
>
> (this is NOT the same CHKDSK as in the Windows XP system but a special RC
> version of it with different options).
>
> When finished - reboot.
>
> ==
>
> Cheers,    Tim Meddick,    Peckham, London.    :-)
>
> "Mr Pounder" <MrPoun...(a)RationalThought.com> wrote in message

> > My 3 year old custom built computer is playing up. The bloke who built it
> > seems to have closed down after over 20 years. So sad.
> > I was on Win '98 and had to do something. The only computers on the
> > shelves were Vista / no thanks.
>
> > I have been getting the message "no drive found" on bootup for about 12
> > months.
> > Ctrl Alt Delete and all is fine.
> > Chkdsk /v tells me of problems found in the system files.
> > Chkdsk /f does not fix these problems.
> > No viruses, I use AVG Pro.
>
> > I have been told that I have been defragging too much, this has resulted
> > in knotted files.
> > The only cure is to format, I have been told this by reliable people.
> > I am too stupid to do this myself and will take my computer to a Computer
> > Repair Person.
>
> > Will he be able to put my internet and email settings setting back for
> > me.
> > Or will he need a disk?
> > VM.
>
> > Thank
>
> > Steve

Thanks, Tim, for this sequence. I always screw up on this repair
bit. :-(